FC United of Manchester 1-0 Chorley

FC United vs. Chorley
FC United vs. Chorley
Share this article

Tom Greaves continued to haunt Chorley as his second half strike dumped the Magpies out of the FA Trophy.

After an even first half it took a moment of brilliance from Greaves in the 52nd minute to separate the sides.

Chorley threw the kitchen sink at the FC backline twice striking and the post and having two penalty claims.

But the fan-owned side held on and they advance into the third round where they will welcome the winners of AFC Fylde and AFC Telford United.

Boss Garry Flitcroft opted to keep with the same side that drew with FC United at the weekend.

There was just one change on the substitutes bench with ‘keeper Aaron Grundy replacing former FC man Astley Mulholland.

The game started at a quick pace at Curzon Ashton’s Tameside Stadium with both sides looking to play a passing game, FC ‘keeper David Carnell had to hurry quickly off his line to deny Josh Hine while Sam Ashton saved well diving to his right catching a Greaves header.

‘Keeper Carnell was involved in the action once again after 15 minutes,Chorley skipper Andy Teague brilliantly played through Hine on the right, he pulled the ball back for the onrushing Harry Winter, his scuffed effort found Dale Whitham, but his effort was brilliantly saved by the legs of the FC shotstopper.

As the half hour mark passed the home side changed their style of playing opting for a much more direct route but it was a neat passing move that left Chorley fans with their hearts in their mouths.

Fullback Jerome Wright found Matthew Wolfenden on the edge of the box, the latter found a small pocket of space unleashing a shot and a slight deflection off Teague saw the effort loop agonizingly over the bar.

As half-time neared, Karl Marginson’s side should have taken the lead, Wright, again pressing on from the left full back position jinxed his way past Whitham before curling a cross to the back post but the usually prolific Greaves could only volley over from one yard.

After a somewhat slow start to the second FC it was the home side that took the lead in the 52nd minute.

Wright launched in a throw that was flicked on by Greg Daniels, beating the offside was Greaves and after taking the ball down he superbly struck an effort in the top corner leaving Ashton no chance.

Buoyed by their lead and strong home following FC continued to press and ‘keeper Ashton was required to smother a Liam Brownhill cross and then watch a Lewis Lacy bullet header sail inches over the bar from a corner.

Former Chester man Lindfield then rattled the bar from a free-kick on the left byline while Chorley had two penalty claims as first Dean seemed to be bundled over in the box by Stott and then substitute Chris Simm was taken out by a sliding challenge after Hine saw a shot cleared on the line by Lacy.

With 15 minutes left, Chorley twice rattled the frame of the goal, ‘keeper Carnell pushed a header onto the post and from the rebound Hine saw his shot thunder off the same post.

Skipper Teague was sent up front in the final stages of the game as Chorley lumped the ball forward at any given opportunity.

Substitute Tom Brown had a chance to seal the victory but he could only loop his shot well over the bar after capitalising on a Roscoe error.

With just two minutes remaining Carnell once again kept Chorley at bay as he superbly tipped a goalbound Adam Roscoe header over the bar and that proved to be the final action in a tense second round tie.

Chorley:Ashton, Ross, Mather, Teague (c), Smyth (Roscoe 65), Cottrell, Hine, Whitham, Dean, Winter (Simm 56), Jarvis (Dorney 29)

Unused subs: Lynch, Grundy (gk)

Attendance: 1393