Full-time: Chorley 1 Alfreton Town 2

Photo: David Hurst'Chorley FC V Preston North End at Victory Park.'Matt Jansen
Photo: David Hurst'Chorley FC V Preston North End at Victory Park.'Matt Jansen
Share this article

Clinical Alfreton Town punished misfiring Chorley as they triumphed 2-1 at Victory Park.

The Magpies should have been out of sight in the first half as Lewis Guy missed several opportunities.

But the forward did produce a moment of magic to open the scoring as he unselfishly teed-up Andy Bond with a pin-point pull-back in the 36th minute and the Bond smashed home his first goal of the season with just one touch.

But Alfreton bagged a goal against the run of play as John Johnston completed a counter-attack by rounding Sam Ashton and firing home in the 75th minute and just a minute or so later Jordan Robertson curled the ball home to give the visitor’s a 2-1 lead.

Magpies boss Matt Jansen made no changes to the side that beat Stalybridge Celtic 1-0 on Monday.

Guy slotted in to the left midfield position as Jansen opted for a 4-4-2 formation with Marcus Carver and Bond up front.

Chorley started lively and constantly threatened Alfreton’s goal throughout the first half.

Samuel Jones brought down Carver on the left wing and Bond’s fierce set-piece was just cleared away by an Alfreton head inside the six-yard box in the seventh minute

Chorley won another free-kick on the right after Jones caught Josh Hine. Adam Dodd’s subsequent set-piece was met by Carver in the box but his first time shot just looped over the bar in the 13th minute.

Jake Cottrell sliced through Alfreton’s defence, Guy lost his marker and Cottrell put the ball on a plate for the forward with an inch perfect pass but Guy tamely fired the ball straight at Duke in the 14th minute.

Moments later Guy headed straight at Duke and up the other end Alfreton’s number 10 John Johnson’s angled shot was comfortably collected by Ashton.

Johnston found space outside the box but his curling shot flew way wide of Ashton’s right hand post in the 24th minute.

Guy latched onto the ball just outside the box and unleashed a fierce low shot that rippled the side netting in the 27th minute.

Captain Andy Teague headed over and Guy was floored by a late challenge from Cliff Moyo on the sideline as Chorley continued to press. Referee Graeme Fyvie booked Moyo for the foul in the 31st minute.

Bond lifted the ball onto the head of Guy but the forward’s close range header was straight at the keeper and batted away by Alfreton in the 34th minute.

But Chorley finally took the lead two minutes later as Carver teed-up Guy who unselfishly set-up Bond. The forward beat his man and sprinted towards goal before pulling the ball back into the path of Bond who coolly slotted the ball home in the 36th minute.

Alfeton’s Ryan Wilson fired way over from distance in the 41st minute.

Bond fired a free-kick straight at Duke in first-half stoppage time and Johnston’s shot up the other end was comfortably collected by Ashton.

Chorley started the second half well. Carver made a probing run towards goal, knocked the ball past Stefan Galinski and the defender appeared to pull back the striker leading to a Chorley free-kick just outside the box.

And Bond’s subsequent set-piece forced Duke to make a low diving save to his right and palm the ball away in the 49th minute.

Alfreton started to grow into the game and had two quick chances. Johnston latched onto Kieran Charnock’s headed clearance but his curling shot from just inside the box was saved by Ashton and Alfreton nearly equalised moments later with as débutante Jordan Robertson attempted the spectacular and his long distance effort just whistled over the bar.

Joe Leesley was booked for a foul on Bond on the halfway line in the 55th minute.

Bond and Hine combined well on the left and Hine let rip from just outside the box but Duke was on hand to thwart the Magpies.

As Alfreton started to get back into the match Jansen brought Darren Stephenson on for Guy.

Ashton made a fine one handed save to tip Moyo’s dipping shot over the bar in the 64th minute.

James Dean replaced Carver in the 70th minute and within seconds of his arrival Hine pounced in the box but his acrobatic effort flew over.

Stephenson pulled the ball back from the byline into the path of the on-running Dale Whitham but the midfielder blazed his first-time shot way off target.

Niall Heaton was booked in the 74th minute and Chorley were awarded a free-kick just outside box.

Bond smashed the set-piece into the wall and Alfreton launched a counter-attack Johnston found himself one-on-one with Ashton. He rounded the keeper and fired the ball into the back of the net to pull the visitor’s level.

And Alfreton took a shock lead in the 77th minute as Robertson marked his début with a goal as he curled the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Jones was booked as Chorley prepared to take a set-piece just outside the box. And the Magpies nearly equalised through a goalkeeping howler. Bond’s set piece flew straight at Duke but he waited to collect the ball and it bounced off his arm but rolled just wide of goal.

Teague volleyed over from close range moments later.

And on the stroke of 90 Bond’s sublime free-kick flew towards the top right corner but Duke made a one-handed diving save to deny the forward.

Hine scuffed a chance from just outside the box and Charnock fired just wide in the box as Chorley threw Teague up top to try and grab an equaliser but their efforts were in vain as Alfreton held on to record only their second win of the campaign.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Dodd, Teague, Charnock, Cottrell, Hine, Whitham (Jarvis, 83), Carver (Dean, 70), Bond, Guy (Stephenson, 61). Subs not used: Sheridan, Jarvis, Roscoe.

Alfreton: Duke, Allan, Galinski, Jordan, Heaton, Moyo, Wilson, Leesley, Jones, Johnston (Ironside, 83), Robertson (Jackson, 83). Subs not used: Jackson, Paling, Draper, Berry.

Referee: Graeme Fyvie (Sunderland)

Attendance: 1,143.