Full-time: Chorley 2 PNE 3

Assistant Manager: Glynn Snodin
Assistant Manager: Glynn Snodin
Share this article

Deepdale new-boy Andy Little’s header sealed Preston North End’s second half fight back as they beat Chorley 3-2 at Victory Park.

A first half strike from Josh Hine and a powerful header by Darren Stephenson gave the Magpies a two goal cushion.

Scott Laird pulled a goal back for North End in the 42nd minute before a second half Joe Garner tap in and Little’s first goal for the club sealed the victory.

The win ensured that the Lilywhites retained the Jack Kirkland Memorial Trophy, silverware awarded in memory of the former Chorley chairman, and kick started their pre-season with a bang.

Chorley started brightly and and Jack Dorney smashed a chance wide of new PNE keeper Jamie Jones’ goal in the fifth minute.

PNE nearly opened the scoring in the ninth minute. Veteran striker Kevin Davies’ downward header rustled the back of the net but he was ruled offside.

But Hine gave Chorley the lead after latching on to a through ball from James Dean and slipping it past Jones from the edge of the area in the 17th minute.

Up the other end Chorley stopper Sam Ashton was forced into a finger tip save as the keeper dived to deny another powerful Davies header in the 25th minute.

But Chorley doubled their lead 10 minutes later as Dale Whitham headed across goal for Darren Stephenson to nod home.

Scott Laird bombed down the left in the 38th minute before fizzing a fierce cross across goal but new boy Hugill could not get the final touch.

And moments later Hugill snatched at an opportunity in the box and sent the ball trickling out to safety.

But Laird halved the deficit, smashing the ball past Ashton from 30 yards in the 42nd minute.

In the second half assistant manager Glenn Snodin - in charge for the night as manager Simon Grayson is absent because of a minor knee operation - sent out a whole new XI.

And PNE’s transformed side made an immediate impact as Will Hayhurt’s header forced Ashton to scurry back towards goal and tip the ball on to the post.

And last seasons top scorer Joe Garner was on hand to tap the rebound home.

After some slick link-up play Paul Gallagher unleashed a fierce shot but he was thwarted by Ashton who pushed the ball away from goal on the hour mark.

But PNE newcomer Andy Little sealed the game as he latched onto a sweet Hayhurst cross and headed the ball beyond a helpless Ashton in the 65th minute.

PNE nearly added a fourth as Hayhurst smashed the ball cross field and picked out Garner who teed up Josh Brownhill. But Ashton was on hand to push the fierce strike away from danger.

Only four members of the first team squad were not involved - captain John Welsh, Lee Holmes, Jack Ryan and Scott Wiseman were all absent due to niggling injuries or illness.

Chorley: Sam Ashton, Kyle Jacobs, Jake Cottrell, Andy Teague, Tom Smyth, Jack Dorney, Josh Hine, Dale Whitham, James Dean, Harry Winter, Darren Stephenson.

Subs: Chris Almond, Dean Astbury, Mark Ross, Luke Ashworth, Jamie Vermiglio, Matt Jansen, Danny, Aaron Grundy.

First half PNE: Jamie Jones, Scott Laird, Tom Clarke, Chris Humphrey, Kevin Davies, Calum Woods, David Buchanan, Neil Kilkenny, Ben Davies, Alan Browne, Jordan Hugill.

Second half: Thorsten Stuckmann (Steven James, 80) Keith Keane, Joe Garner, Josh Brownhill, Paul Gallagher, Joel Byrom, Andy Little, Jack King, Paul Huntington, Will Hayhurst, Nick Anderton.