Josh’s last-gasp strike has Magpies dreaming

Matchwinner Josh Hine
Matchwinner Josh Hine
Share this article

The history books were re-written once again as a last-gasp strike from Josh Hine sealed an excellent FA Trophy victory.

It seemed to be plain sailing for Chorley who took the lead after five minutes through James Dean.

But the Magpies found themselves reduced to 10 men after Mark Ross was sent off and hearts were seemingly broken when Curzon midfielder Samuel Walker equalised with just three minutes left on the clock.

But then up stepped goal machine Josh Hine, who sent every Chorley fan wild as his smart finish in the 90th minute sealed a 2-1 victory and a second-round proper tie against either Skrill Premier sides Dartford or Forest Green Rovers.

Boss Garry Flitcroft made two enforced changes against the Evo-Stik Northern Division One opponents. as midfield duo Jake Cottrell and Paul Woolcott both missed out due to injury and ineligibility.

Adam Roscoe and Paul Jarvis stepped up from the bench to replace them

Curzon started brightly and blazed an effort over the bar in the opening minutes.

But minutes later, it was Chorley who took the lead through Dean.

Andy Teague flick on landed to Jarvis at the back post and the latter forced a save from Anthony Thompson but the goalkeeper could only push the ball back into the six-yard box and Dean made no mistake.

Despite losing the early goal, Curzon continued to attack Chorley at any given opportunity.

Ryan Brooke glanced a header wide for the visitors before Hine saw his tame effort saved by Thompson.

The Magpies started to pressure Curzon with Roscoe and Dean dominating in the air.

Hine volleyed over after a smart ball from Adam Mather and then Sam Ashton collapsed to the floor after saving a Walker effort with an unfortunate part of his body.

But as the half-hour mark approached the game took a turn for worse. James Dean was seemingly shoved to the ground on the halfway line but referee Rob Jones waved away the claims.

That left Matty Warburton was clean through on goal and Ross bundled over the pacy forward leaving the referee no option but to point to the spot.

Ross was sent off for the challenge but Walker stepped up and blazed his penalty wide of the right-hand post.

Hine was then clattered on the edge of the area and from the Mather free-kick, Roscoe headed in only for the assistant referee to chalk the goal off for offside.

Curzon looked to make their numerical advantage count and Darren Stephenson was required to head behind for a corner.

The final action of the half saw Ashton spill a Walker shot, but the striker slipped as he attempted to follow up and the ball was cleared.

Straight after the restart, Teague headed over before Ryan Watson broke only to be denied by an outstanding tackle by Keil O’Brien.

The visitors continued to press but still failing to work Ashton before Teague saw a goalbound header cleared off the line.

Dean then scuffed a shot over the bar from six-yards out and with three minutes left on the clock Curzon struck to silence Victory Park.

Walker picked up a loose ball and curled a shot in off the right hand post past Ashton to almost seemingly seal a


But in the dying minutes, Mather twice surged down the left-hand side first crossing for Hine and the latters header was saved before an almost carbon copy move saw Hine smash the ball home to send the crowd wild.

The Magpies saw out the remainder of the game with ease and banked another £5,000 taking their FA Trophy prize money up to £14,950.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Mather, Teague, O’Brien, Roscoe, Hine, Whitham, Dean, Stephenson, Jarvis (Vermiglio 91). Subs not used: Wiles, Meaney, Zibaka, Grundy (gk)