Magpies conjure up the most superb victory

Boston United v Chorley - Conference North play-off semi-final second leg - Saturday, May 2, 2015 'Adam Roscoe scores an overhead kick with seconds remaining to take the game into extra-time
Boston United v Chorley - Conference North play-off semi-final second leg - Saturday, May 2, 2015 'Adam Roscoe scores an overhead kick with seconds remaining to take the game into extra-time
Share this article

Everyone fondly remember important incidents they have witnessed over the years that shook their world.

For Chorley fans, travelling to Boston was definitely was one of those ‘I was there’ moments to tell the grandchildren in years to come.

After going 2-0 down in the second half on Saturday, just about everybody had written the Magpies off.

But Chris Doyle, Adam Roscoe and Sam Ashton obviously hadn’t read the script at The Jakemans Stadium, in front of a fierce crowd of 3,174.

In the end, the heroic Magpies won the game 5-4 on a penalty shoot-out to reach the Conference North play-off final which will cap off an unbelievable debut season at this level on Saturday.

The game had started brightly and both sides carved out decent chances.

James Dean tried his luck on four minutes after being put through by Jack Dorney, but his shot flew over the bar.

Boston’s first meaningful attack came after 17 minutes when Dayle Southwell picked the ball up from just outside the area and let fly, but his shot went just past the upright.

The Pilgrims threatened again when a Zak Mills long throw caused havoc in the Magpies defence, but Carl Piergianni couldn’t get power on his header to beat Ashton.

Back at the other end, Roscoe saw his long range effort parried by Max Stryjek.

But it was Boston who took the lead in the 43rd minute when another throw into the box by Mills caused confusion and after a manic goalmouth melee, Scott Garner netted despite the sterling efforts from Ashton.

And the second half was just four minutes old when Boston doubled their lead.

Grant Roberts set up Kaine Felix, who tricked his way into a shooting position before poking home from 15 yards.

However, rather than let their heads drop, the Magpies were galvanised and after 56 minutes, they clawed their way back into the game.

Dale Whitham’s free-kick was met by Chris Doyle who somehow headed the ball past Stryjek from a seemingly impossible angle.

This gave Garry Flitcroft’s men the impetus they needed, along with the introduction of Matthew Flynn and Chris Almond in place of Andy Teague and Harry Winter.

The Magpies had an almighty let-off when Southwell’s 25-yard thunderbolt crashed against the post.

But they refused to give in despite time fast running out.

Still, Boston thought they had secured a play-off final against Guiseley until the fifth minute of time added on when the ball was floated into the box and Roscoe, the car dealer from Standish, was on hand to smash a sensational overhead kick past Stryjek.

The first half of extra-time was a tepid affair but things took a turn for the worse again for Chorley three inutes into the second period when Roscoe received his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

Southwell planted a header wide for Boston late on but the game was to be decided with a pelaty shoot-out.

Dean, Southwell, Dorney and Mills made it 2-2 after four penalties, before Whitham and Garner were denied by the respective keepers .

Paul Jarvis and Mark Jones then converted, but Flynn was denied for Chorley.

If Piergianni scored, Boston had won but Ashton diverted his effort on to the bar.

Substitutes Aaron Burns and Jamie McGhee kept the contest going before Mark Ross stroked home his effort.

All the pressure was on Rene Steer and he came up short as Ashton tipped his effort on to the bar to spark wild celebartions from the magpies players and fans alike.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Teague (Flynn 57), Doyle, Jarvis, Roscoe, Whitham, Hine (Burns 64), Winter (Almond 55), Dorney, Dean. Subs not used: Cottrell, Mather

Attendance: 3,174