Magpies defeat Tigers in a battling display

Worksop Town (yellow shirts) v Chorley (black/white) at Sandy Lane
Worksop Town (yellow shirts) v Chorley (black/white) at Sandy Lane

Chorley ended a four match winless streak with a battling 1-0 victory over fellow high flyers Worksop Town.

A first half strike by Keil O’Brien sealed all three points for the Magpies in a victory that could have been so many more but Jonathan Stewart was in inspired form in the Worksop goals.

The Magpies now hold a four point lead at the top of the Evo-Stik League Premier Division.

Chorley’s first attack of the game came early on, Dale Whitham swung a corner in which rebounded off the crossbar and out.

After a short spell of pressure, Worksop won a corner, from the resulting set piece, Chris Salt saw his strike deflected wide by O’Brien.

The Tigers were on the attack again, first Tom Denton saw his header cleared off the line by Mark Ross then it was Salt again causing trouble in the air as his header hit crossbar and rebounded into safety.

Chorley took the lead in the 18th minute, Shane Clarke conceded a free-kick 35 yards from goal. Whitham floated the ball to the back post for skipper Andy Teague to head down and on hand was O’Brien to slam the ball at the second time of asking.

Buoyed by the crowd, the Magpies continued to attack the Worksop goal, Paul Jarvis attacking from left back but his evaded everybody.

Sam Ashton then saved comfortably from Connor Higginson while Chris Almond was denied his second Chorley goal through a combination of Stewart and Salt on the line.

Almond was involved in the action again but his pull back evaded Whitham and Dean then seconds later the latter rattled the underside of the crossbar from five yards.

Former Kilmarnock man Alex Pursehouse then sprinted the length of the pitch only to hit his shot well over the bar, then on the stroke of half time, Mettam volleyed over a Denton head down.

The visitors started the stronger of the two in the second half, Mettam scuffing an effort wide of goal from 10 yards.

Mettam again then fired well over the bar before it was almost a moment of horror for Ashton who attempted to claim a high ball but could only scuff his punch behind him for a corner.

Chorley then had a glorious chance to double their lead, Phil Roe clearance was blocked which landed kindly at the feet of Dean 18 yards from goal but the big striker was denied by the onrushing Stewart.

The visitors struggled to gain an upper hand in the game with Whitham, Vermiglio and Paul Woolcott dominating proceedings in midfield.

The game turned scrappy with both sides struggling to keep hold of possession.

Darren Stephenson and Adam Roscoe were introduced by boss Garry Fitcroft while Warren Burrell and Evan Garnett looked to make an impact from the bench for Worksop.

Chorley then had the chance of the half, the ball was played into Dean with his back to goal, the striker turned and struck an effort goal bound but the ball trickled inches wide of the left hand post.

The Magpies should have doubled their lead once again, Dean flicked on for Stephenson but the latter’s effort rattled the crossbar when he had the goal at his mercy.

As the game entered it’s final stages sub, Evan Garnett had a glorious chance for the Tigers but his shot just went the wrong side of the left hand post.

Dean once again could have got himself on the scoresheet in the final minutes of the match but he again was denied by Stewart who saved well with his chest.