Magpies’ first-half power show

Josh Hine netted twice for the Magpies
Josh Hine netted twice for the Magpies
Share this article

Chorley 3 Corby Town 0

Chorley squelched to a comprehensive National League North victory over relegation-threatened Corby on a heavy pitch.

A powerhouse first-half display yielded three goals and effectively sank the Steelmen.

The visitors showed enough resilience after the break to deny the Magpies any further goals.

Matt Jansen’s men were too hot for a creaking Corby defence to hold, in a rousing opening half which delighted a remarkably large Victory Park crowd of 1,011.

The visitors’ steel was sometimes cynically misused and their card-count should have been higher from the referee.

As it was, the official flourished two yellow cards and a red to Ben Milnes who was sent off midway through the second half.

Goals for the Magpies looked guaranteed from the off when Josh Hine burst 
clear but lost control as he rounded keeper Sam 

He was to be rewarded with two goals which put Chorley firmly in control.

On 19 minutes, Hine headed in a well-flighted free-kick from Andy Bond, who looked a class act throughout.

The lively Darren Stephenson provided the cross in the 33rd minute from which Hine added a second with a fierce shot into the roof the 

And the killer third goal arrived with perfect timing a minute before half-time, Adam Roscoe stealing in to slide home Bond’s corner from close range.

The gloss on Chorley’s first-half exhibition was to some extent removed owing to an early injury to skipper Andy Teague, concussed after bravely getting his head to a free-kick in the goalmouth, and a second departure just before the interval of James Dean who hobbled off with what looked like a longer-term setback.

Corby resumed in fiery mood but despite applying pressure they were unable to seriously test Sam Ashton, until finally a Greg Mills pile-driver forced the keeper into a flying save to punch the ball aside.

Mills was then close to scoring only for an offside 
flag to cut short his 

The Magpies did not really test Donkin in a quiet second half until the closing minutes when the keeper pulled off a very smart save at his near post to deny Hine a hat-trick as the striker cut in and let fly.

It was no surprise that in deteriorating weather conditions, the tempo of the second period had not matched that of the first.

As a delighted Matt Jansen observed afterwards, the damage had been done and the points secured in that impressive first half to lift the Magpies three places to eighth in the table.

CHORLEY: Ashton, Ross, Beesley, Teague (Charnock 7), Roscoe, Cottrell, Hine, Whitham (Lynch 89), Dean (Connerton 44), Bond, Stephenson. Subs (not used): Jarvis, Goulding