Magpies get Brack on track thanks to Simm

Chorley players celebrate with goalscorer Chris Simm
Chorley players celebrate with goalscorer Chris Simm
Share this article

Chorley returned to winning ways with a hard-fought win at Brackley to complete a league double over the Saints.

Chris Simm scored the only goal for the Magpies, who remain eighth in the table, but with games in hand over all the teams above them.

Boss Garry Flitcroft made a number of changes from the team that drew with Leamington in midweek.

Stand-in skipper Dale Whitham joined the back-line at right-back, with Mark Ross partnering Matthew Flynn in the centre-half position due to Morecambe loanee Chris Doyle suffering from a stomach muscle injury.

Harry Winter and Adam Roscoe were brought into midfield, while experienced striker Chris Simm started up front, as Josh Hine was ruled out due to a badly bruised calf picked up in Thursday’s training session.

The first chance on a flat yet bobbly pitch came the Magpies’ way after just six minutes when Adam Mather whipped a free-kick into the box but Flynn could only head over.

Seconds later at the other end, after a dangerous run into the box by Will Green, it looked as though Mark Ross had handled the ball, but referee Craig Hicks waved the appeals away.

On 17 minutes, the hosts suffered a major

blow when keeper Billy Turley had to limp off the pitch, bringing Dean Snedker into the fray.

The young keeper was soon tested as Whitham put in a dangerous cross but he saved Roscoe’s effort quite easily.

Sam Ashton caused Chorley some alarm when he jumped off his line and missed the ball completely but Flynn put a last-ditch tackle on Kaziboni as the home side unsuccessfully screamed for a spot kick.

On the half-hour mark, Ashton made a comfortable save to his left.

Home defender Chris Carruthers then left the field of play as the home side suffered yet another injury.

After 33 minutes, Chorley created their first clear-cut chance when from a dangerous ball into the box by Mather, James Dean turned well in the box to shoot just over, and minutes later, Winter hit an effort just wide.

With five minutes of the half remaining, Mather crossed yet again and Dean knocked on to Dorney who just missed contact on the ball as he stretched out wide.

After the interval, Chorley continued in the same vein as Simm constantly looked a threat in and around the box.

Numerous corners were launched into the Brackley area, but to no avail.

But a deserved goal finally arrived on 63 minutes.

Whitham gathered the ball on the right and found Dean who put a floating cross in for Simm to head home past the scrambling Snedker.

The striker was obviously delighted as he ran over to the travelling Magpies faithful to wildly


Minutes later, Flitcroft made his first change as Almond replaced Dorney.

By now, Chorley were making good use of the pitch and playing positive football.

As time wore on, Brackley made the odd run into the box but nothing really troubled Ashton.

With 10 minutes left, Dean had chance to score for the buoyant visitors, but his effort from just outside the box went wide.

The hosts did pressure the Magpies with time ticking on but the Chorley back-line stood firm, as Whitham marshalled his players


After some tense added on time, referee Craig Hicks finally blew for full-time and Chorley had bagged three valuable points.

CHORLEY: Ashton, Whitham, Mather, Ross, Flynn, Roscoe, Dean, Winter, Simm, Dorney, Cottrell. Subs: Almond (Dorney), Grundy, Burns, Lynch, Jarvis (Simm)

Attendance: 262