Magpies held by the Bay

Dale Whitham
Dale Whitham
Share this article

Chorley stretched their unbeaten run to seven in all competitions with a 0-0 draw against Colwyn Bay.

The game, played in cold conditions wasn’t one for the neutral, with Frank Sinclair’s side putting in a physical and competitive performance.

Both sides had chances to win the tie but in truth both goalkeepers remained largely untested throughout the 90 minutes.

Chorley boss Garry Flitcroft again made changes to his starting eleven , in came Chris Simm and Chris Doyle who recovered from illness and injury with Josh Hine and Kyle Jacobs dropping to the bench.

The Victory Park pitch held up well despite an over night and Chorley started brightly with the front three of Simm, James Dean and Darren Stephenson all posing a threat.

Early in the half Dale Whitham saw a shot loop over the bar while Colwyn’s Rob Hopley prodded a one-on-one effort with Sam Ashton wide of the right hand post.

The home side had the better of the possession however Frank Sinclair’s side always looked lively on the counter attack.

Ashton was called upon to smother Obi Anoruo’s cross out for a corner and just before the half hour mark, Stephenson saw an effort blocked on the line by on-loan Wrexham goalkeeper Liam Sharpe.

Despite the lively start, the remainder of the first half past off without incident as a crowd of 1004 were relatively silent upon the referees half time whistle.

The second start started poorly with both sides creating little, the Chorley crowd became restless as the Magpies struggled to retain possession.

With 25 minutes remaining the visitors had the first real chance of the game, Marc Williams first saw a header brilliantly saved by Ashton and from the rebound the Colwyn Bay skipper won the 50/50 challenge only to see his header cleared off the line by skipper Teague.

Paul Jarvis and Hine were introduced from the bench to inject much needed energy into the Chorley side.

Jake Cottrell then blazed a shot over the bar and Whitham saw a header nestle into the side netting from a Mather corner.

With just over 10 minutes remaining, Ashton got down well to his left smothering an Anthony Stevens drilled shot.

The visitors continued to attack, Hopley looked offside when he latched onto a through ball, however the assistant kept his flag down but the Colwyn forward could only hit his shot into the side netting from inside the box.

Skipper Teague saw a header fall safely in the hands of Sharpe from a Whitham free kick before the latter had the chance of the half to seal the three points for the home side.

A loose ball fell to Cottrell on the edge of the area, he drilled an effort into a crowd of bodies, the ball landed at the feet of Whitham, but he could only blaze his effort over the bar from six yards.

Whitham had the final chance of the game heading wide from a corner and the

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Mather, Teague (c), Doyle, Cottrell, Lynch (Jarvis 67), Whitham, Dean, Simm (Hine 66), Stephenson

Unused subs: Jacobs, Roscoe, Grundy (gk)

Attendance: 1004