Magpies made to suffer for a slow start in Suffolk

Chorley's Sunshine gang made the trip by plane to watch their team against Lowestoft
Chorley's Sunshine gang made the trip by plane to watch their team against Lowestoft
Share this article

Chorley’s nine match unbeaten run came to an end as they were convincingly beaten by Lowestoft Town on Saturday.

The Magpies soon found themselves facing an uphill battle as Jake Reed opened the scoring with his fifth goal of the season.

Jack Ainsley then doubled the hosts’ lead from the penalty spot after Reed had been brought down.

And Ainsley was spot-on again in the second half before skipper Andy Teague pulled a goal back.

Chorley continued to press and the Trawlerboys were reduced to 10-men as Turkish midfielder Erkan Okay was shown a second yellow card.

But it was be too much for Chorley and the defeat sent Garry Flitcroft’s side down to fifth in the Vanarama Conference North.

But a special mention must go to the travelling

Magpies faithful.

More than 100 Chorley fans attended the game with officials at Lowestoft saying it was the best away following they have been seen all season.

Fans travelled by coach, car, train and even a plane to attend the fixture.

The Magpies started slugglishly and Lowestoft looked hungry as they looked to forget last weekend’s FA Trophy defeat against Dover Athletic.

Reed was first to Dean Mason’s clever flick and the Blues striker poked the ball home past Sam Ashton.

Two minutes later and it got even better for Lowestoft with Reed at the heart of it all again.

He latched on to Okay’s ball over the top and, as he looked to take the ball round the goalkeeper, he was caught between Kyle Jacobs and Ashton, and referee Chris Pollard pointed straight to the spot.

Up stepped Ainsley,who calmly slotted the ball home past Ashton.

Sam Gaughran then headed wide from a corner, while stand-in Lowestoft keeper Lamar Joseph-Johnson, saved well to deny Teague.

The home sideeffectively sealed the points moments before the hour mark.

Adam Smith was brought down by Jake Cottrell inside the area and for the second time in the match, referee Pollard pointed to the spot.

Ainsley again stepped up and he confidently sent Ashton the wrong way to bag his seventh of the season.

Chorley pulled one back moments later as Teague met an Adam Mather free-kick to head home.

James Dean was then denied a tremendous Joseph-Johnson save .

Okay was then sent off for a second yellow card as he lunged in on Dale Whitham.

But the home side kept their composure to seal the win.

Chorley: Ashton, Jacobs, Teague, Doyle, Mather (Dorney 88), Cottrell, Lynch (Winter 82), Whitham, Dean, Simm (Hine 55), Jarvis. Subs not used: Roscoe, Ross.

Attendance: 562