Magpies on the march in Trophy once again

Chris Doyle celebrates as Chorley take the lead
Chris Doyle celebrates as Chorley take the lead
Share this article

Chorley marched in to the second round of the FA Trophy with a totally dominant display over Vanarama Conference North counterparts Guiseley.

The visitors were pitch-perfect throughout the game and they were two goals to the good at the half-time break.

Adam Mather gave the Magpies the lead in controversial circumstances before Chris Simm doubled the lead moments later.

Adam Boyes was sent off midway through the second half for the home side.

The victory sees Chorley bank £5,000 in prize money and a home tie in the second round against FC United.

Boss Garry Flitcroft opted to retain a front three of James Dean, Darren Stephenson and Simm for the trip to


A crisp wind blew across the firm-looking pitch which only passed a pitch inspection at 1pm.

Nothing separated the sides in the opening stages of the game, Guiseley skipper Ben Parker saw his header go well wide of the goal while Jack Lynch drilled a volley into the side netting from the edge of the penalty area.

Steven Drench made the first save of the game pushing a Dean cross wide of the goal and then Stephenson saw his back heeled effort go into the side netting.

The quick flurry of chances continued, with Dean again causing problems down the right.

He whipped in a cross first time but with the goal at his mercy, Simm fluffed his effort and Nicky Bushell had time to deflect it over for a corner.

The Magpies continued to look the better of the sides and shortly before the half-hour mark they took the lead.

Full-back Mather whipped in a cross, keeper Drench hesitated and after a slight deflection off a Guiseley defender, the ball found its way into the back of the net.

Celebrations were prematurely ended when the assistant raised his flag.

However after a short consultation with his colleague, referee Thomas Bramhall overturned allowed the goal to stand.

Buoyed by their goal Chorley continued to attack, Drench was forced into action again as he tipped a Cottrell shot around the post.

The resulting set-piece was cleared, but the loose ball landed to Stephenson on the left wing, he pulled the ball back and lurking in the six-yard box was Simm who tapped i.

Chorley continued to dominate the game with with the lively Lynch causing problems for the Guiseley back-line.

The visitors were dealt a blow as Stephenson hobbled off with a leg injury, and was replaced by Paul Jarvis.

On the stroke of half-time, Chorley had a golden chance to move further ahead.

After a free-kick was blocked, the ball fell to Parker, who was tackled on the halfway line by Simm, who sprinted into the area.

He squared the ball to the onrushing Lynch who squared it to sub Jarvis on the far left of the box. He then pulled it back to Lynch but from six yards, his shot was blocked on the line by Ryan Toulson.

The hosts were the better sides early in the second period, with forward Oli Johnson in particular causing problems for Chorley, while Nicky Boshell saw a shot-come-cross nestle into the side netting.

Dean then showed great awareness and tested Drench once again. He picked up a loose ball on the halfway line and after chesting it down, he unleashed a volley which the Guiseley shot stopper could only palm wide.

Into the final 30 minutes, Magpies keeper Sam Ashton still remained untested as sub Andy Holdsworth sent a header wide.

Controversy surrounded the game with just under 20 minutes remaining after on-loan Morecambe defender Doyle and Boyes clashed heads.

After the challenge the latter seemed to lash out with his foot, and this was spotted by referee Bramhall and the Guiseley No.9 was sent off.

Despite being reduced to 10 men, Chorley had their hearts in their mouth 1when fullback Parker struck the inside of the post with a cross but fortunately the rebound landed safely in the arms of Ashton. Jake Cottrell then had another chance for the visitors as he had Drench scrambling across his goal as his shot went the wrong side of the left hand post.

Dale Whitham fired a shot wide in added time and both Teague and Doyle, who were a huge presence in the middle of defence, won vital headers to see the game out.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross (Jacobs 17), Mather, Teague, Doyle, Cottrell, Lynch, Whitham, Dean (Hine 86), Simm, Stephenson (Jarvis 44). Subs not used: Roscoe, Dorney

Attendance: 498