Match report: Ashton United 1-5 Chorley

Ashton United vs. Chorley
Ashton United vs. Chorley
Share this article

Chorley registered their third victory of the pre-season campaign, thrashing Ashton United at Hurst Cross.

Chris Almond opened the scoring in the 31st minute and he doubled the Magpies’ lead with a header five minutes later.

Josh Hine scored from an acute angle late in the 41st minute, before Sam Wilson pulled a goal back for the Robins midway through the second half.

Substitute Aaron Burns scored a fourth in the 78th minute and one minute later, he rounded off the scoring finishing well from inside the box.

Chorley are back in action this Friday as they welcome a Blackburn Rovers XI to Victory Park, kick off 7.30pm.

Prior to kick-off, the Magpies confirmed the signing of striker Marcus Carver, who joined from League 2 outfit Accrington Stanley on a one month loan deal.

Ashton’s Adam Morning had the game’s first opportunity, the former FC Halifax Town man slicing wide from inside the area.

Morning blazed over from distance seconds later as he attempted to catch goalkeeper Sam Ashton off his line.

New signing Carver had the Magpies’ first chance as he shot wide from eight yards after latching onto a Dale Whitham’s pass.

The game was scrappy, both sides predominantly played with a direct style of play and there were chances few and far between.

After a barren spell, Chris Sutherland thought he had opened the scoring for the hosts in the 24th minute, but his six yard effort was ruled out for offside.

Almost one minute later, Carver drew a smart save from the onrushing Ollie Martin before curling a shot wide of goal in a separate attack.

The game started to open up, the visitors were keeping the ball on the floor and it was clearly benefiting them.

Hine and Almond were causing problems down the wings and it was the latter who opened the scoring in the 31st minute.

Carver found space down the left, his pull back found Almond and the former Southport man had the easiest of finishes from six yards.

Five minutes later and the visitors doubled their lead, Whitham whipped in a cross, Almond beat Martin to the ball and comfortably headed into an empty net.

The Magpies were well on top and four minutes before the interval, Almond turned provider as Chorley scored a third.

His excellent through ball found Hine and the forward duly did the honours of slotting the ball under Martin from an acute angle.

Chorley’s Ashton made an excellent fingertip save to deny Morning early in the second half.

He was in the thick of the action again soon after as he blocked Joel Melia’s low shot.

A series of substitutions disrupted the flow of play and a lot of the game was played in the middle of the park.

Shortly after the hour, a back-pedalling Ashton did well to catch a Sutherland effort but three minutes later, the Magpies ‘keeper was beaten.

Whitham inadvertently headed a deep cross back across the face of goal, unmarked was fullback Wilson and he nodded home from two yards.

Matt Jansen introduced a host of substitutions including trialist Lewis Guy and the former Doncaster Rovers made an instant impact.

After latching onto a through ball, his cross was expertly delivered for Burns to tap in at the back post in the 78th minute.

The Magpies were playing some neat stuff and they added a fifth with their next attack on goal.

Hine’s pull back from the right found an unmarked Burns in the box and he drilled an effort under a helpless Martin.

Late on, Martin saved Teague’s header and at the other end, Melia’s shot went agonizingly wide of the post.

Chorley: Ashton, Whitham (Trialist 84), Dodd (Jarvis 69), Ross, Teague (c), Sheridan (Lynch 51), Hine, Roscoe (Winter 75), Dean (Burns 71), Carver (Guy 71), Almond (Stephenson 51)

Referee: Craig Buxton