Match report: Chorley 0-0 Barrow

Action from Saturday's excellent win against North Ferriby United
Action from Saturday's excellent win against North Ferriby United
Share this article

It was honours even at Victory Park as Chorley played out a goalless draw against Vanarama Conference North table toppers Barrow.

The visitors, were the better of the two sides throughout the 90 minutes, but a well organised Chorley side held their own with Andrew Teague and Harry Winter both putting in fine performances.

Darren Edmondson’s side were reduced to 10-men six minutes into the second half as Paddy Lacey appeared to stamp on Winter.

The point has left Chorley sitting third in the table, three points ahead of fourth placed Oxford City.

The visitors made the brighter start but for all their possession, Magpies goalkeeper Sam Ashton remained untested between the posts.

There was a real sense of nervousness about the Chorley performance and a mix-up at the back almost saw Barrow gifted a goal, but Ashton pulled off a fine reflex save to push Teague’s header wide.

Barrow continued to look the better of the sides and the Magpies were struggling to get out of their own half.

Referee Steven Copeland received the wrath of the home supporters midway through the half, as Dorney broke clean through on goal, the man in the middle opted to bring play back and award the home side a free-kick despite a clear advantage.

Ashton saved well pushing wide Lewis Guy’s snap shot, while at the other end, a slip from Danny Livesey played through Aaron Burns, but he could only balloon his shot over the bar.

Late in the half, Ashton was called into action once again blocking an Andy Cook volley before smothering the rebound.

The visitors continued to look the stronger in the early periods of the second half, but the game swung in Chorley’s favour in the 51st minute as Lacey saw red, referee Copeland showing a straight red card for a stamp on Winter after the two were involved in a tangle on the floor.

The Magpies were indebted to Ashton again minutes later, as he superbly blocked Simon Grand’s header on the line before Cook blazed over the rebound with the goal at his mercy.

Barrow ‘keeper McMillan made his first notable save of the game shortly after the hour as he first parried Whitham’s shot before scrambling on the floor to get a vital hand to the rebound.

Chorley were dealt a blow when skipper Teague hobbled off injured in the 74th minute and three minutes later, Ashton had to be on his guard when tipping Sam Sheridan’s high free-kick over the bar.

Despite being reduced to 10-men, the visitors continued to retain possession well but the final stages saw little created by both teams.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Mather, Teague (c) (Flynn 74), Doyle, Roscoe, Hine, Whitham, Burns, Winter (Winter 84), Dorney

Subs not used: Lynch, Dodd, Grundy (gk)

Attendance: 2556 (639 Barrow fans)

Referee: Steve Copeland