Match report: Chorley 0-0 Boston United

Chorley vs. Boston United
Chorley vs. Boston United
Share this article

It will be winner takes all in Saturday’s Conference North play-off semi final second leg between Chorley and Boston United as the two sides battled out a hard fought draw at Victory Park last night.

There was nothing to separate the two sides over 90 minutes as both goalkeepers were rarely tested throughout the game.

All eyes will now be on the second leg at York Street this Saturday where the winners will meet the victors of Guiseley and AFC Fylde.

It was a tentative start at the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium, both sides predominantly played with a direct style of play and very few chances were created.

For Chorley, Harry Winter volleyed wide from the edge of the box while at the other end, Kaine Felix got the better of full back Paul Jarvis but he could only shoot wide when inside the area.

The visitors started to come into the game, Nick Walker came onto the right side with Felix switching to the left and the former had immediate success winning two corners.

Sam Ashton was called into action shortly after the half hour, twice denying forward Dayle Southwell, first the Chorley goalkeeper comfortably saved a tame header and then two minutes later, he did well to smother a low effort from an acute angle.

Prior to Southwell’s efforts, Magpies striker James Dean saw yellow after kicking Carl Piergianni in the face when challenging for a 50/50 aerial ball.

Late in the half, Ashton was at ease when catching Piergianni’s header from a corner.

The first 45 minutes were a constant battle and a scrappy affair, and the opening stages of the second half were no different.

Both sides continued to play with similar tactics, exploiting the wings and playing with a direct style of play.

United’s Mark Jones had a glorious chance to open the scoring 10 minutes into the second half but the Boston forward blazed over from two-yards after latching onto Felix’s low cross.

The game turned increasingly scrappy, little was being created and both goalkeepers were acting as sweepers claiming a number of over hit through balls.

As the game entered its final stages, Southwell wasted an effort shooting wide from inside the area after latching onto Kyle Dixon’s short free-kick.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Jarvis, Teague (c), Doyle, Roscoe, Hine, Whitham, Dean, Winter (Cottrell 67), Dorney (Almond 78)

Subs not used: Flynn, Burns, Mather

Attendance: 2022

Referee: Kevin Mulraine (Carlisle)