Match report: Chorley 0 PNE 0

Chorley v PNE
Chorley v PNE
Share this article

Chorley and Preston North End shared the Jack Kirkland Trophy after their annual friendly clash at Victory Park ended in a goalless draw.

The normally lethal Joe Garner missed a second-half penalty for North End, hitting the spot-kick against the bar.

There were half chances at either end in a game played in front of a healthy-sized crowd of 2,022.

Will Keane made his Lilywhites debut after signing on loan from Manchester United in the week.

Both sides used their full squads, Chorley changing nine of their side at the interval and Preston 10.

The game’s first clear-cut opener arrived in the seventh minute, Jordan Hugill’s industrious run ending with him threading a fine pass through the Magpies defence to find Jermaine Beckford.

With just the keeper to beat, Beckford looked odds on to score but poked his first-time shot the wrong side of the post.

Andy Little lifted a shot from 25 yards over the bar, before the action swung to the other end of the pitch with Danny Ventre forcing Jamie Jones into a save low down.

Kyel Reid’s snap shot from the outside the box was held at the second attempt by keeper Sam Ashton.

Chorley had a couple of chances close together, James Dean well wide with a shot from 20 yards, then Harry Winter went much closer, his effort curling inches past the far post.

Hugill, impressive throughout the first period, got his head to Little’s cross but watched his header loop over.

Another centre from Little in the 36th minute found Beckford, his glancing header going just wide.

After finding room on the right, Hugill drilled the ball across goal from the side of the box without anyone able to get a touch.

Ross kept the scoreline blank when he dived to his left to glove away Beckford’s header after Ben Davies’ cross had picked him out.

Keane missed out on a debut goal after he mis-controlled a ball into the box, although the striker did recover to get away a shot which clipped off a Chorley body - the deflection carrying it over the bar.

At half-time, Preston changed 10 of their XI - keeper Jones staying on - and Chorley swapped nine.

The home side also donned their new lime green away strip for the second half.

Garner, captaining the PNE second-half side, tried his luck with an ambitious volley from a narrow angle after being found by Paul Gallagher’s cross field pass, the effort flying over.

Chorley came close to taking the lead, Adam Dodd venturing forward from the back and playing a peach of a pass over the visitors’ defence.

Jake Cottrell got beyond the last man to meet Dodd’s ball but could not get it under control and Jones gathered.

Jones was in action again to save at the feet of Chris Almond, that his last slice of the action with Steven James replacing him shortly after.

Garner put a header straight into the gloves of Ashton, Nick Anderton’s pinpoint cross presenting him with the chance.

He missed an even better one in the 75th minute, referee Scott Oldham pointing to the spot after Garner had been brought down by the keeper.

Garner stepped up to take the penalty but struck it against the angle of post and bar.

Matt Flynn and Almond went close with headers in quick succession for Chorley but the deadlock remained unbroken.

With 81 minutes gone, Daniel Johnson’s corner was volleyed goalwards by Paul Huntington, forcing Ashton to dive and parry it away.

Garner almost redeemed himself with an overhead kick from the right hand side of the box which travelled just wide.

Johnson’s 20-yard chip caught Ashton off his line but dropped over.

Chorley (first-half): Ashton, Ross, Teague, Charnock, Dodd, Hine, Sheridan, Winter, Jarvis, Ventre, Dean.

PNE (first-half): Jones, Clarke, Wright, Davies, Little, Kilkenny, Welsh, Reid, Keane, Hugill, Beckford.

Chorley (second-half): Ashton, Ventre (Teague 75), Dodd (Jarvis 75), Flynn, Smyth (Ross 90), Cottrell, Lynch, Whitham, Burns, Dorney, Almond.

PNE: (second half): Jones (James 70), Woods, Huntington, Heaton, Anderton, Gallagher, Browne, Brownhill, Johnson, Ryan, Garner.

Referee: Scott Oldham

Attendance: 2,022