Match report: Chorley 2-3 Guiseley

Aaron Burns
Aaron Burns
Share this article

Chorley hearts were broken in the Vanarama Conference North play-off final as a calamitous second-half saw the Magpies throw away a two goal lead and ultimately defeated by Guiseley.

The Magpies were in pole position at the interval as they established a two goal advantage.

But a trio of enforced defensive substitutions contributed to Guiseley turning the game on its head to run out the winners.

The game, played in front of a magnificent crowd of 3,418, really was a tale of two halves.

Chorley skipper Andrew Teague opened the scoring in the fifth minute and 13 minutes later, he had a second goal disallowed for offside.

The Magpies did double their lead in the 23rd minute, Paul Jarvis finishing well from inside the area.

Both Teague and Jarvis departed early in the second half and Guiseley pulled a goal back in the 56th minute through Adam Boyes.

Shortly after the hour, goalkeeper Sam Ashton departed after landing awkwardly when making a routine cath and seven minutes later Guiseley were level, substitute Liam Dickinson heading home from eight yards.

The new look Magpies back line were struggling and in the 78th minute Nick Boshell sealed promotion for the Lions prodding home from six yards.

The Magpies started superbly and with their first attack on goal, they opened the scoring in the fifth minute.

Dale Whitham’s corner was flicked on by James Dean, first to the ball was Teague and his header rebounded off the underside of the crossbar and in.

The visitors were cleared rocked by the early goal, goalkeeper Steven Drench and hit his clearance straight at fullback Danny Lowe which resulted in a Chorley corner.

At the other end, Boyes was thwarted by Sam Ashton from six-yards after the Magpies goalkeeper made a fine save smothering his shot.

The Guiseley back line were having a hard time of it, Drench sliced a clearance wide for a corner and Dean lashed a shot wide from 35-yards.

Despite their defensive woes, the Lions posed problems upfront and both Teague and Mark Ross were called upon to make fine last ditch challenges.

Teague thought he had doubled the Magpies’ lead in the 18th minute but his headed goal was ruled out for offside.

Five minutes later, there was pandemonium in the Chorley stands as Jarvis doubled the Magpies’ lead.

The former AFC Fylde man exchanged passes with Jack Dorney, he weaved his way into the penalty are bypassing several Guiseley defenders and with aid of a slight deflection, his right footed shot sailed past Drench.

Shortly after the half hour, Guiseley boss Mark Bower was forced to make a change as Dickinson replaced an injured Oli Johnson.

Chorley were causing all sorts of problems upfront and seven minutes before the break, Drench was called into action beating away a Hine shot after the latter broke on the half-way line.

The visitors started strongly in the second half, Brooksby and Dickinson both shot over and Chorley were forced into two changes as both Teague and Jarvis hobbled off injured.

The loss of Teague clearly hampered Chorley and in the 56th minute, the visitors reduced the deficit.

Boyes latched onto a long punt forward, the former Barrow men held off Teague’s replacement Matthew Flynn before prodding past a helpless Ashton from six yards.

Guiseley were buoyed by their goal and well on top, Dickinson was causing a number of problems in the air and several Chorley players were panicking when in possession.

Six minutes after the hour, the hosts were dealt another blow as goalkeeper Ashton went off injured after landing awkwardly when catching a cross.

The changes had clearly impacted Chorley’s style of play and in the 73rd minute, Guiseley found themselves level.

Brooksby whipped in a cross, unmarked in the area was Dickinson and from seven yards, he showed class directing a header into the far corner with Grundy well beaten.

Five minutes later and the visitors turned the game on its head.

Dickinson’s sweeping cross from the left evaded everybody and from six yards, Nicky Boshell turned the ball home to send the travelling Guiseley supporters wild.

As the game entered injury time, the Magpies thought they drew themselves level but Flynn’s header, which came off the underside of the crossbar, was ruled not to have crossed the line.

Chorley were giving it everything in the final two minutes, Flynn hooked a shot over the bar and Drench comfortably saved Dorney’s shot from the edge of the box.

Moments after the final whistle, midfielder Harry Winter was sent off by referee Joe Johnson for dissent.

Chorley: Ashton (Grundy 66), Ross, Jarvis (Mather 53), Teague (c) (Flynn 47), Doyle, Cottrell, Whitham, Winter, Dorney, Hine, Dean

Subs not used: Almond, Burns,

Attendance: 3418

Referee: Joseph Johnson (Merseyside)