MATCH REPORT: Chorley knocked out by clinical Vics

The FA Cup
The FA Cup
Share this article

Chorley surrendered a first half lead as super-sub Aboubacar Sanogo powered Northwich Victoria into the First Round proper of the FA Cup.

The Magpies 25-year wait for a spot in the round continues after Sanogo headed home in the 80th minute to clinch a giant-killing for the NPL First Division Premier outfit.

The day after the new James Bond film opened in cinemas another Bond was the blockbuster opening act at Victory Park.

Andy Bond fooled Northwich keeper Mason Springthorpe as his teasing free-kick fizzed past a bunch of on-running Chorley players and nestled sweetly in the right side of the net just four minutes before the break.

But the lead did not last as Northwich’s Richard Bennett controversially fired home from the spot in the 49th minute after captain Andy Teague was alleged to have tripped Brian Summerskill in the box.

Substitute Sanogo nodded in Ryan Astles cross with 10 minutes to go to send Conference Premier side Chorley - who are two leagues above them - out of the cup in a fourth qualifying round replay at Victory Park despite only having two clear cut attempts at goal.

Chorley boss Matt Jansen made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Northwich in the fourth round qualifier on Friday night.

Marcus Carver and Dale Whitham returned to the starting XI as Harry Winter and Josh Hine - who had a slight shoulder knock - dropped to the bench.

It was a quiet start to the crunch clash and the home faithful had to wait until the 20th minute to see the first real attempt on goal as Bond found himself in space outside the box but he sliced his shot wide of the left post.

Chorley captain Teague was floored in the 29th minute after he went up for an aerial challenge with a Northwich player. But he was back on his feet moments later after a once-over by the physio.

Teague latched onto Bond’s free-kick from the Chorley half at the back post but his header was comfortably collected by Vics keeper Springthorpe in the 33rd minute.

Left back Max Cartwirght’s long throw was headed backwards towards goal by Teague but Springthorpe collected with ease as Chorley started to up the ante.

Darren Stephenson was fouled on the left of Northwich’s half and Bond whipped the subsequent set-piece into the back of the net in the 41st minute. His teasing free-kick flew past a host of Chorley heads and bamboozled Vics keeper Springthorpe who was rooted to the spot and could only watch the ball fly into the right of the net.

Springthorpe made a sensational one-handed stop to deny Jake Cottrell’s long range effort in the 44th minute. The diving keeper somehow managed to back pedal and tip Cottrell’s fierce effort over the bar.

But Northwich were handed a route back into the game just four minutes into the second 45 after referee Ricky Wootton ruled that Teague appeared to trip Summerskill in the box although it appeared as though the Chorley skipper did not make contact with the Vics player. But the referee did not hesitate and immediately pointed to the spot and striker Bennett stepped up to coolly fire the ball past Sam Ashton.

Defender Mark Ross’ pin-point pass found Teague in a plum position to the right of the opposition box in the 57th minute. The centre back with all the grace of a centre forward fizzed the ball towards the far corner from a tight angle but the ball just skimmed past the post despite Chris Doyle’s sliding efforts at the back post to try and touch the ball home.

Teague’s teasing ball from the right cut through Northwich’s defence and flew across the face of goal but Doyle could just not connect with the ball at the far post.

Whitham’s lose pass up towards Stephenson was intercepted by Northwich and the visitor’s caused confusion in the box as Doyle’s scuffed clearance fell to Summerskill but he failed to capitalise on the opportunity in the 70th minute.

Just moments later Bennett fired straight at Ashton from just two yards out but up the other end Stephenson forced Springthorpe into action with a fierce effort as both teams went for the jugular.

Dean’s header flew agonisingly wide of the far post but it was Northwich who edged in front as super sub Sanago - who had only been on the field for less than four minutes - ghosted into the box and nodded Astles cross home.

Dean’s strike from just outside the box was tipped wide, another Dean effort flew into Springthorpe’s arms and Dean’s header was also collected by the keeper as Chorley failed to find the all important equaliser.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Cartwright, Teague, Doyle (Guy, 84), Cottrell, Carver, Whitham, Dean, Bond, Stephenson. Subs not used: Rigby, Charnock, Hine, Winter, Jarvis, Roscoe.

Northwich: Springthorpe, Byrne, Duxbury, Crue, Clarke, Astles, Summerskill, Roddy, Bennett (Sanogo, 76), Amis (Ali, 86), Williams (Cook, 89). Subs not used: Smith, Clarke, Burnett, Howard.

Referee: Ricky Wootton (Wakefield)

Attendance: 1,020