Match report: Leamington 1-3 Chorley

Leamington vs. Chorley
Leamington vs. Chorley
Share this article

In-form Chorley made it three wins in as many games with victory away at Leamington.

Garry Flitcroft’s side were worthy winners on the night despite falling behind in the 21st minute as Jordan Goddard prodded home from eight yards.

The Magpies struggled throughout the first period but against the run of play, a moment of brilliance from Adam Roscoe drew the sides level in the 44th minute.

Morecambe loanee Chris Doyle put the Magpies in front in the 46th minute before skipper Andrew Teague put the game to bed five minutes after the hour heading home from six yards.

In an even opening, the Magpies were first to go close, Aaron Burns heading over Dale Whitham’s cross in the second minute.

Sam Ashton twice comfortably dealt with two Leamington corners while Josh Hine was unlucky to see his well struck volley blocked inside the area.

Both sides tactics were evident, and that was to play with a direct style and bombard their opponents’ areas with long balls and high crosses.

Conceding goals has been a problem of late for the visitors, with many being down to their own defensive errors and Leamington’s opener was no different.

Goddard latched onto a long-throw sent into the box, the Brakes’ midfielder had time to take the ball down and control it, before being allowed to turn with his back to goal and stab a shot past Ashton.

Chorley’s long ball tactics only played into the hands of the visitors and Burns became increasingly isolated up front.

As the half wore on it became a scrappy affair and both sides showed little quality when in possession, and it was a surprise when the Magpies drew themselves level on the stroke of half-time.

Roscoe, picked up a loose ball 35-yards from goal, with nothing on the midfielder unleashed a thunderbolt of a shot which flew into the back-of-the-net leaving goalkeeper Jonny Maddison rooted to the spot.

The Magpies were buoyed by their leveller and one minute into injury time they turned the game on its head.

Harry Winter surged towards goal only to see his shot rebound off the crossbar, Teague’s effort was then deflected but lady luck was on the Magpies’ side as Doyle pounced on the loose ball to prod home past Maddison.

The opening stages of the second half were scrappy and both sides struggled to keep hold of possession.

Unlike the first half, Chorley started to pose a threat from set pieces and they further extended their lead five minutes after the hour.

Dale Whitham sent a deep free-kick into the box, running in at the back post was Teague and he duly nodded the ball past Maddison.

The visitors started to play with the freedom and Maddison denied both Burns and Jack Dorney while at the other end, Winter showed great awareness clearing Jamie Tank’s header off the line.

The tireless Burns was unlucky not to score late on as Tanks scrambled his shot off the line.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Teague (c) (Flynn 79), Doyle, Mather (Jarvis 32), Roscoe, Whitham, Winter (Almond 87), Hine, Burns, Dorney

Subs not used: Lynch, Dodd

Referee: Ian Dudley