Roberts marks landmark with goal and win

Andy Roberts celebrates with Danny Nolan
Andy Roberts celebrates with Danny Nolan
Share this article

Magic man Andy Roberts celebrated his 700th Charnock Richard appearance in style as he bagged a goal in the 3-0 victory over Garstang.

Roberts’ goal was sandwiched between David Fisher’s 33rd minute strike and Carl Grimshaw’s effort six minutes from time.

Skipper Roberts has been a vital cog in the Charnock works for a number of years and he continues to play a vital role in their attempts to retain their West Lancashire Premier Division title.

Andy Westwell’s side hold a one-point lead at the top over Blackpool Wren Rovers.

Charnock welcomed back Mark Woods to the squad after the midfielder had missed the majority of the season through injury.

The home side had keeper Gavin Bates to thank for keeping the scores level, Garstang’s Garry Fawcett drilled a finely towards the corner but the Charnock shotstopper managed to save well.

The Reds continued to attack as they had plenty of possession around the Charnock area.

Fisher struck a free-kick well over the bar but he made amends shortly after the

half-hour mark converting from close range after Garstang keeper Jimmy Brindle parried a Carl Grimshaw shot.

Shortly after the interval, Charnock got an all-important second, Fisher turning provider by playing through Roberts and he unleashed a shot past the despairing Brindle’s dive.

Despite the deficit, Garstang rallied with Conor Crossley shooting wide and Leon Gierke flashing a cross across the face of goal.

With six minutes rleft, Grimshaw scored the goal of the game, rocketing a shot into the corner from 20 yards from sub Ryan Donnellan’s pass.

n Coppull United came out on the wrong end of a seven-goal thriller against Longridge Town.

A poor first half cost Dave Haughton’s side as they lost 4-3.

The visitors found themselves 3-0 down with not even 20 minutes on the clock.

Midfielder Lennie Reid opened the scoring while Sam Dean and Rick Coar also got on the score sheet.

Mitch Leece pulled a goal back before Reid struck again six minutes before the break.

Lewis Grimshaw scored a second shortly fro Coppull before the hour mark and Leece ensured a nervy finish by scoring in the 90th minute.