Roberts proves an ‘Andy sub for the champs

editorial image

Champions Charnock Richard are continuing to set the pace at the top of the West Lancashire League Premier Division table after a hard-fought win over Thornton Cleveleys.

Goals from the prolific Carl Grimshaw and Andy Roberts either side of a Phil Smith strike sealed a 2-1 victory.

The villagers now sit 11 points clear at the top of the table.

The game started in heavy showers but thankfully to both players and spectators ,there was little wind meaning conditions were more than suitable for the game.

And just six minutes in, Charnock broke the deadlock through Grimshaw.

The tricky Mark Woods was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and up stepped Carl Grimshaw who blasted the ball into the top corner.

Charnock upped the tempo but some lack ustre finishing along with a number of excellent saves from Mark Smith ensured the lead stayed at 1-0.

Damian Dashti saw an effort sail wide of the post and Grimshaw struck the post from an almost identical position where he has scored the opener.

Smith was called upon again to save well from both Grimshaw and Danny Nolan and Charnock goalkeeper Gavin Bates had just the one save to make prior to half-time.

The away side posed little threat but the missed chances looked set to be rued as in the 63rd minute against the run of play, Smith drew the sides level.

Andy Roberts was immediately introduced and soon after Liam Hayton had two chances to regain the lead but goalkeeper Mark Smith saved well.

David Burrows was introduced and made an instant impact as he played Dashti down the right-hand side.

The latter crossed and with a perfectly timed run Roberts fired home to bag his 345th goal for the club.

Jimmy Hone was sent-off for the visitors for two bookable offences late on and Mark Smith saved well from Burrows in the dying minutes but the game was to end 2-1.

n Coppull United bounced back to winning ways crushing Tempest United 2-0.

Two goals from goal machine Greg Brickell ensured Coppull sealed the points in torrid conditions.

The home side dominated the first half with Tempest seemingly happy to go away with a point.

And despite over 65% possession, the sides went in at the break still at 0-0.

But after some reassuring words from Coppull boss Dave Haughton, his side took to the field second half and broke the deadlock minutes after.

Brickell fired in an effort from 20 yards to give Coppull a deserved lead.

Nathan Fairhurst and Mark Edmeads pulled the strings in midfield and a pinpoint pass from Fairhurst allowed Brickell to double the lead and seal the victory for Blainscough Park outfit.

The win means Coppull are now unbeaten in seven fixtures in league and cup before they travel to Thornton Cleveleys this Saturday in the LFA Amateur Trophy.