Roscoe wraps up Chorley trophy win

Lancashire Co-operative Challenge Trophy

Chorley 2 Kendal 1

ADAM Roscoe reignited scenes of euphoria similar to last season’s play-off final when he scored a winner for Chorley.

The talented midfielder swivelled to shoot past Craig Dootson after 60 minutes for what proved to be the deciding goal in the final.

Chorley deserved to wrap up their 15th trophy win after a second-half fightback.

Defender Andy Russell had equalised with the second half only minutes old when he reacted the quickest to the goalkeeper Dootson’s parry.

The half-time team talk by Garry Flitcroft had the desired effect as the Magpies had to come back from being 1-0 down at the break when Kendal skipper Marc Joseph headed Lee Ashcroft’s side ahead after a lively first 45 minutes.

Kendal striker Matt Jackson spurned the first opportunity of the half when the Magpies failed to clear the danger form a corner on five minutes.

It seemed to spur the Magpies on as Matt Walwyn ala Paul Gascoigne in Euro 1996 when he burst through the defence from halfway before firing it wide.

Chorley enjoyed the conditions at the Reebok being able to show their passing prowess on the Premier League surface while at the back Andrew Teague led by example clearing the danger on numerous occassions in the first half.

There was some nevy moments for the Magpies midway through the half when Matt Walwyn collided with Adlington based keeper Craig Dootson then minutes later ex-Magpie Jackson rounded the keeper and then shot wide.

Russell Saunders was called into action when he made a save from Kevin Leadbetter look easy on 20 minutes.

Dootson had to be on top of his game at the other end to acrobatically deny Foster a certain goal on 25 minutes.

Steve Foster almost made it 21 goals for the season but he could not find enough power in his header to trouble Dootson.

Chorley committed too many men forward to an attack with 10 minutes of the first half remaining but they were not punished.

Walwyn picked up the first booking of the game for a challenge on Danny Williams on 35 minutes.

Then came the sucker punch for Chorley as Joseph put the ball to Saunders right and make it 1-0.

Chorley ended the half on top with Roscoe firing the ball into the box which was deflected wide.

Chorley: Saunders, Brown, Ince, Teague, Russell, Vermiglio, Williams, Walwyn, Roscoe, Denham, Foster, Subs: Maden, Ross, Bowen, Proya, Porter