Rugg rattles Magpies in away-day cup exit

James Dean and Darren Stephenson
James Dean and Darren Stephenson

A disastrous second-half spell from Chorley saw the Evo-Stik League side crash out of the FA Cup in a 4-0 defeat against Vauxhall Motors.

The Skrill North outfit scored four unanswered goals in the second half, with frontman Jordan Rugg grabbing an eight minute hat-trick, and ex-Witton Albion striker Ashley Stott scoring the other.

In a game dubbed operation ‘take our own crowd’, the Magpies fans travelled in their numbers, but they left with their heads hanging after ruing the missed chances earlier in the game.

The defeat was far from the drubbing the scoreline would suggest, but it was a case of failure to convert early efforts which ultimately cost Chorley in their second -round qualifying tie.

Garry Flitcroft made just the one change to the starting line-up, with pacey frontman Josh Hine coming into the side, replacing ex-Macclesfield man Simon Wiles, who dropped to the bench.

The Magpies started brightly with Dale Whitham having an early headed chance, but the midfielder failed to hit the target.

Keil O’Brien then fired over from the edge of the area, before Whitham saw another headed effort graze the outside of the post after an excellent corner from Tom Baker.

Chorley looked to take the game to Vauxhall, who were on the back foot for the majority of the first half.

James Dean again put in a tireless shift upfront and the ex-Fylde man caused problems with his power and pace.

O’Brien then had another chance in the box after consecutive flick-ons from Dean and Whitham, but his effort was tame and comfortably saved by goalkeeper Zac Jones.

But former Magpies keeper Jones nearly turned villain 10 minutes from half-time, after struggling with a wicked strike from Adam Mather.

Mather struck a sweet, swerving effort which Jones opted to punch rather than catch, and the miscued parry landed in the six-yard box, but the referee spotted an infringement before another chance could materialise.

Whitham then found himself on the edge of the area with time and space, but the midfielder struck a poor effort at goal and failed to work Jones.

Chorley started brightly after the break, but it was the Motormen who had an early effort, James Kosylo firing over from a tight angle.

Ten minutes into the second half, the chance of the game fell to Chorley’s leading goalscorer Darren Stephenson.

The striker capitalised on some sloppy passing at the back, and he carried the ball 40 yards into the area, but with the goal gaping, the frontman failed to pull the trigger and Karl Clair made a last-ditch tackle.

Wiles came on for the injured Hine, and Stephenson again found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but Andy Nicholas made another late challenge to deny him.

Then, completely against the run of play, Vauxhall took the lead.

Substitute Karl Noon delivered a fine right wing cross which was flicked on by Nicholas, and Stott was on hand to make it 1-0.

Motors then made it 2-0 shortly after, as Rugg robbed the ball from Mark Ross in the area and the frontman slotted calmly past Sam Ashton.

Vauxhall then made it 3-0 as Rugg scored the goal of the game with a magnificent 20-yard left footed strike which sailed into the top left corner via the post.

Six minutes from time, Rugg made it four and sealed his hat-trick, firing a right-footed effort towards the bottom corner, and despite a strong hand from Ashton, the ball trickled into the back of the net to round off the day’s proceedings and disappointing afternoon for the fans, players and management.

Chorley: Ashton, Walmsley, O’Brien, Ross, Mather, Whitham, Baker, Hine, Cottrell, Stephenson, Dean.

Subs: Grundy, Meaney (Cottrell, 86), Roscoe, Teague, O’Neill, Wiles (Hine, 58), Vermiglio.