Second-half blitz just enough for Magpies

Andy Bond equalises for the Magpies at Whitley Bay
Andy Bond equalises for the Magpies at Whitley Bay
Share this article

Chorley came from behind against Whitley Bay to seal a place in the FA Cup fourth qualifying round.

Adam Shanks opened the scoring for Whitley Bay inside 14 minutes, lobbing Sam Ashton from distance after Andy Teague was caught in possession.

Three minutes after the interval and Andy Bond surged into the box before rifling the ball into the top corner.

Soon after the Magpies went ahead, Jake Cottrell heading in from close range.

Seventy-one minutes played and Shanks pulled the Bay level.

Darren Stephenson ensured the Magpies’ safe passage to the fourth qualifying round, firing home from close range.

The victory for Chorley not only saw them bank £7,500 in prize money but they were also awarded a tie against either Northwich Victoria or Marine on Saturday, October 24.

Two minutes in, goalkeeper Andrew Jennison brilliantly stopped Kieran Charnock’s header from nestling in the back of the net.

Six minutes later, Bond’s cross found James Dean inside the box but the Chorley striker couldn’t direct his shot on target.

Just under a quarter of an hour played and it was the hosts who were in front. Shanks capitalizing off Teague’s indecisiveness and lobbing Ashton from outside the box.

Mark Ross found Paul Jarvis with a long throw-in but his effort from the edge of the box flew high and wide.

Harry Winter collected the ball from Dean on the edge of the box before blasting an effort wide of the target.

Bond curled an effort wide of the post whilst at the other end, Shanks shot straight at Ashton.

Whitby’s Jennison made a fine save to turn Winter’s header past the post.

Approaching the interval and Teague was careless in possession once more, allowing substitute Dillon Blake a shooting opportunity but Ashton kept the midfielder at bay.

Into the second half and Ross hit an arrowed a shot straight at Jennison.

The Magpies levelled in the 48th minute, Bond fired a shot straight into the top corner after a surging run into the box.

Three minutes later the visitors took the lead, Cottrell powering a Ross header past a helpless Jennison.

Chorley upped the ante and Winter volleyed an effort over the bar after receiving the ball from Dean.

Shortly before the hour, Marcus Carver, who came on for Lewis Guy, narrowly missed the target striking an effort against the post from outside of the box.

Winter could have put further daylight between the teams when the ball fell to him but he shot over from close range after Jennison was left stranded.

Whitley Bay were level in the 71st minute with Shanks scoring his second of the game.The forward found space to head in Alex Kempster’s cross.

Two minutes later and Blake had a chance to put the hosts in front but his shot from inside the box was straight at Ashton.

Since his introduction at half-time luck wasn’t on Carver’s side, this time his header bouncing back off the bar.

With 11 minutes remaining, the chance looked to have gone for Dean when he rounded Jennison and scuffed the shot but there was Stephenson to tap the ball home from close range.

Dean spurned another chance moments later again rounding Jennison and shooting wide instead of picking out Josh Hine who was unmarked on the far side.

In the final stages of the game, Shanks looked to latch onto Charnock’s wayward clearance but Ashton made sure he was first to the ball.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Charnock, Teague (Doyle 52, Jarvis, Cottrell, Winter (Hine 78), Bond, Guy (Guy 45), Dean, Stephenson

Subs not used: Dodd, Whitham