Shock defeat as Charnock are too Casual

Mark Woods on the ball as Dave Fisher looks on
Mark Woods on the ball as Dave Fisher looks on

Champions Charnock Richard slumped to their first league defeat in more than a year when losing 4-1 to Crooklands Casuals.

Fleetwood Hesketh were the last side to defeat Charnock in the West Lancashire Premier Division in August 2012.

Dan Hogg was the only goalscorer for the Mossie Park outfit who still have an 11-point lead at the top of table.

Charnock were on the back foot from the start as Rikky Gallagher struck a sweet volley which left Gavin Bates no chance and gave Crooklands the lead.

And they trailed 2-0 in the 13th minute when Mike Park, who was a threat all afternoon, was sent through on goal and he made no mistake lobbing the on-rushing Bates.

It could have been 3-0 minutes later as Dave Goude’s strike hit the post before kindly rebounding into the hands of Bates.

Charnock were seemingly there for the taking and Crooklands continued to pile on the pressure.

A tactical change saw Damien Dashti revert to right-back and Liam Hayton push into midfield which saw some signs of improvement.

Ross Bain saw his header cleared off the line before Danny Nolan mis-kicked in front of goal.

But in the second minute of stoppage time , Chris Wraighte had a shot which went in off the post to seal Casuals’ three points.

Nolan had his first chance of the match but his shot rattled the crossbar before sub Andy Roberts had a goal chalked for offside.

Ryan Schofield headed wide for the visitors and Crooklands had chances of their own while Charnock were chasing the game.

Hogg bagged a consolation goal heading in at the near post but Goude rounding off the scoring to seal a 4-1 home victory.

n Mark McDonnell’s Euxton Villa lost out 2-1 to second-places Blackpool Wren Rovers on Saturday.

Wren Rovers started the better of the sides but on-loan goalkeeper Lee Dovey was unbeatable in the opening half pulling off a string of excellent saves.

Euxton gradually grew into the game and, in the 35th minute, took the lead.

Danny Marland refused to give up and won a ball he had no right to before setting up Dan Morris, who finished superbly to make it 1-0.

Marland then appeared to be hauled down in the penalty area but referee Mark Doherty waved away the Villa claims for a penalty.

Wren hit Villa with two strikes in 10 minutes in the second half ,and but for Dovey it could have been more.

Wayward finishing then let Villa down as the away side couldn’t find the equalising goal.

n Coppull United made it

seven league games unbeaten

by defeating Burnley United 1-0.

A solitary goal from Greg Brickell was enough to seal the points for Coppull.

But all wasn’t easy, with Brickell seeing red for two bookable offences.

Coppull impressed once again with Mark Edmeads drawing in the plaudits with a dominant midfield display.