Shock setback brings pre-Christmas blues

Paul Jarvis in action
Paul Jarvis in action

Leicestershire outfit Barwell ended Chorley’s club record run of 13 straight victories by recording a surprise win at Victory Park on Saturday.

Two early strikes from Tyrone Kirk and Luke Barlone put Barwell in the driving seat.

Despite an Adam Mather goal early in the second half ,the Magpies lacked their normal cutting edge and failed to find the equaliser.

The defeat is also Chorley’s first loss at Victory Park this season.

The Magpies where without the services out in-form striker Josh Hine for Saturday’s game after he picked up an ankle injury during their 5-0 midweek victory over Droylsden.

Skipper Andrew Teague returned to the side after sickness ruled him out of the midweek fixture.

Darren Stephenson had the first chance of the half but his effort was comfortably saved by the visiting goalkeeper Neil Collett.

Dale Whitham then fired wide of the right after Teague flicked on a Mark Ross


But in the 18th minute, the visitors stunned the Magpies faithful by taking the lead.

Luke Weale crossed and Kirk was left all alone at the back post to head past Sam Ashton.

And four minutes later, the alarm bells started to ring louder as Barwell made it two.

This time, Kirk turned provider as his cross just looped over the back-pedalling Teague and

Barlone sent his header over Ashton to make it 2-0.

And two minutes later, it could have been game over but Dan Spencer fired wide of the post with Ashton well beaten.

After this horror spell, Chorley regained their composure and Whitham fired over and a Mather corner caused a goalmouth scramble finally hacked away to safety by the Barwell rearguard.

Whitham and Woolcott then exchanged passes before the latter produced a smart save from Collett.

James Dean had Chorley’s best chance of the half but his free header sailed wide.

After the break and undoubtedly on the receiving end of some strong words from boss Garry Flitcroft, Chorley game out all guns blazing.

And in the 52nd minute, Mather struck a sweet freekick in the bottom right -and corner.

For the first time in the game, it was Chorley piling on the pressure with Dean, Stephenson and Keil O’Brien all being denied by last ditch defending.

Then on the hour mark, the majority of the 697 erupted inside Victory Park as Stephenson had the ball in the back of the net.

But the assistant official raised his flag ruling that Dean was offside earlier in the move.

Simon Wiles and Alex Meaney were sent on replacing Adam Roscoe and Paul Jarvis but the pair struggled to make a real impact.

Stephenson then had a header straight at Collett and despite the latter fumbling the ball was cleared for a corner.

Chorley continued to press but Barwell defended well and Chorley had one last chance but Dean could only head over.

Barwell saw the remaining minutes out with ease and proved to be Chorley’s conquerors gaining revenge from their 3-1 defeat earlier in the season.

Chorley: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Andy Teague, Keil O’Brien, Dale Whitham, Adam Roscoe(Simon Wiles 74), Paul Woolcott, James Dean, Darren Stephenson, Paul Jarvis (Alex Meaney 74). Unused subs: Aaron Grundy(gk), Jake Cottrell, Brandon Zibaka

n Chorley take on Ramsbottom United in the Lancashire FA Trophy tonight before welcoming Skrill Premier giants Forest Green Rovers to Victory Park this Saturday as they battle it out for a place in the FA Trophy third round.