Spot-kick woe as Villa’s bad run continues

Byron Andrew in action for Euxton Villa against Thornton Cleveleys
Byron Andrew in action for Euxton Villa against Thornton Cleveleys
Share this article

Euxton Villa sit ninth in the West Lancashire Premier Division after suffering a 2-0 loss against Thornton Cleveleys.

Villa have been on a torrid run notching up just two wins in their last nine fixtures.

And the run continues to haunt Euxton as a goal in either half sealed the points for Cleveleys.

Villa got off to a slow start struggling to cope with the pace of the youthful Thornton side.

But despite a sloppy start and some wayward defending Thornton failed to capitalise and it was the away side who found themselves under


Byron Andrew causing problems throughout the half having two early efforts.

The tricky winger then went on another mazy run only to be hacked down on the edge of the area.

Mark Swift sent the resulting free-kick over the bar.

But minutes later it was heartbreak for Andrew and Euxton as the midfielder failed to recover from the injury sustained in the challenge.

Ryan Thompson was sent on in place of Andrew to make his second appearance for the club.

The the controversy the ball drifted out of play but the officials ruled not and Euxton were under the cosh but managed to clear the ball for a corner.

But the resulting corner was cleared but Mark McAlpine was at the edge of the area and his effort curled into the top corner leaving Lee Dovey no chance.

The second half started with Villa piling on the


But just before the hour mark, Brett Dawson dribbled from the half way line into the six-yard box and comfortably finishing past Dovey.

Villa kept battling and with 10 minutes to go, the referee pointed to the spot after Rick Wilson was upended by the goalkeeper.

Sam Bolton stepped up but his penalty was saved by keeper Mark Smith and Thornton managed to hold on to seal the points.

n Charnock Richard bounced back to winning ways with an excellent 4-2 victory over Garstang.

From the kick-off, it was all Charnock Richard.

Danny Nolan was pulling the strings early on and saw his effort go just wide.

Andy Roberts then headed wide from a Ryan Schofield cross but minutes later, it was the same pair linking up with a different outcome as Roberts smashed the ball home to make it 1-0.

Two minutes later, it was 2-0 as Ross Bain was bundled over in the penalty area.

The referee awarded Charnock a penalty and Mike Fletcher made no mistake making it 2-0.

And it was 3-0 soon after as Mark Woods latched on to a Danny Grimshaw throughball and Woods calmly slotted into the back of the net.

Aaron Heliwell pulled a goal back for Garstang and in the 65th minute and Ryan Dodd made it 3-2 as he took advantage of a Gavin Bates error.

The game was now end-to-end with both sides looking for the next goal.

Danny Regan and Dan Hogg were introduced by Charniock bocc Andy Westwell and the pair linked up to seal the


Regan crossed excellently and Hogg finished well from close range to seal all the points.

n Coppull United lost 3-2 to Vickerstown.

Chris Robinson scored early on for Coppull, but Vickerstown hit back with two goals of their own.

Greg Brickell equalised for Coppull but Vickerstown bagged the winners with just 10 minutes left.