Stalybridge Celtic 0-1 Chorley

Stalybridge Celtic vs. Chorley
Stalybridge Celtic vs. Chorley
Share this article

James Dean’s first-half penalty was enough for Chorley to seal all three points against lowly Stalybridge Celtic.

The Vanarama Conference North tie was a tale of two halves as the Magpies dominated the opening 45 minutes while the second period saw the home side come into the game a lot more.

But ultimately it was Dean’s spot kick that was the difference as he lashed a shot into the top left corner on the stroke of half-time after forward Josh Hine was clattered inside the area.

Chorley made a quick start at Bower Fold, opting to play with a direct style of play from the off.

Adam Mather saw a cross flash across goal while midfielder Dale Whitham had his shot from three yards cleared off the line by a flurry of blue shirts.

Michael Potts tested Sam Ashton from the edge of the box with a well struck effort after the Magpies sloppily gave away possession trying to pass their way out of trouble.

Chorley continued to bombard the vistors’ box and Celtic ‘keeper Lewis King was visibly struggling with the high balls.

Magpies skipper Andy Teague saw four headed efforts sail over the bar while former Halifax Town winger Kevin Holsgrove struck the base of post with a cross from the byline.

The tie was still being played at a quick pace and Chorley continued to dominate all aspects of the game.

Eight minutes before the break and the Celtic shot stopper King was once again involved in the action as he saved with his legs to deny Jack Dorney from the edge-of-the-box.

Chorley eventually made their pressure pay on the stroke of half-time, Hine picked up a loose ball on the right, he first nutmegged Stefan Galinski carrying the ball into the area before taking the ball away from Nathan Heath and the Celtic fullback could only clatter the Chorley forward which lead to referee Sam Oldham pointing straight at the penalty spot.

Up stepped a confident Dean who rasped his spot kick into the top left corner sending the travelling Magpies faithful wild.

The opening stages of the second half lacked any real quality, both sides giving possession away and both sides failed to test the respected ‘keepers.

Adam Roscoe bent a shot well wide of goal while King saved well with his legs denying Dean after the Chorley striker latched onto a long punt forward from Ashton.

Moments later and Celtic had a glorious chance to equalise, Jamie Allen broke through clear on goal but he could only shoot straight at Ashton.

As the game went on it became increasingly heated as both sets of players were lunging into challenges.

With just over 20 minutes remaining, Roscoe saw a shot from the edge of the box tipped wide by King.

The home side continued to apply plenty of pressure as skipper Scott Kerr and substitute Paul Ennis both shot wide of goal.

Late on, Dorney saw a chipped effort saved well by King and with just seconds remaining Ashton pulled off an excellent game winning save diving to his right to deny Ennis.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Mather, Teague (c), Flynn, Roscoe, Hine, Whitham, Dean (Simm 90), Burns (Cottrell 83), Dorney

Subs not used: Winter, Almond, Lynch