Stalybridge Celtic 0-1 Chorley

Stalybridge Celtic vs. Chorley
Stalybridge Celtic vs. Chorley
Share this article

Josh Hine’s late strike proved decisive in sealing Chorley’s third victory of the season against a physical Stalybridge Celtic.

Despite the solitary strike which came in the 84th minute, the game had everything from a penalty miss to two red cards and plenty of challenges.

It was a game the Magpies dominated, but they worryingly spurned a number of chances.

Goalscorer Hine missed a spot kick on the half hour and former Chorley striker Chris Simm saw red for an elbow on Andy Teague.

Celtic were reduced to nine-men early in the second half, Adam Farrell dismissed for a lunge on Jake Cottrell.

Matt Jansen’s side continued to create chances and with six minutes remaining Hine broke the deadlock tapping in from two yards.

In injury time, Celtic boss Liam Watson was sent away from the dugout after shouting at the referee.

The Magpies were dealt a blow in the pre-match warm up, Morecambe loanee Chris Doyle pulled up with a back spasm which meant Cottrell came into the starting line up.

Chorley were quick out of the blocks and dominated the opening stages, Lewis Guy was bundled over in the box by Jack Higgins but referee William Smallwood waved away the penalty claims.

Hine and skipper Teague both headed wide of goal whilst the former shot over from a Marcus Carver cross.

The front three of Carver, Hine and Guy were causing the Stalybridge defence all sorts problems.

And the trio again linked up in the 18th minute but Hine could only slice wide from three yards after a series of exchanged passes.

Sam Ashton was called into action for the first time in the 24th minute when he saved well to deny Simm from eight yards after he evaded two challenges.

The hosts started to come into the game, Ashton having to punch clear free-kicks from Farrell and Aidan Chippendale.

On the half-hour, Mr Smallwood awarded the Magpies a penalty after Carver was tripped by Danny Wisdom.

Hine took the spot kick but he was thwarted by Tony McMillan who saved well diving to his right.

Celtic were reduced to 10-men seven minutes before the interval.

Simm and Teague challenged for an aerial ball and it appeared the former led with his elbow.

After a short pause in the game when the pair received treatment, Simm was given his marching orders whilst holding an ice pack on his eye.

On the stroke of half-time, Chorley again spurned another opportunity, Charnock shooting wide at the back post.

Things went from bad to worse for the hosts in the second half as they were reduced to nine men.

Former Chorley forward Farrell lunged in on Cottrell and the referee had no hesitation in producing the second red card of the match.

The Magpies continued to bombard the Celtic area, Higgins making an excellent block to deny a goal bound Hine shot.

James Dean thought he had opened the scoring in the 64th minute but his goal was rightfully disallowed after a shove on ‘keeper McMillan.

Despite playing against nine men, Chorley lost their way and they were struggling to create any clear cut chances.

With time running out and several chances missed, the Magpies finally broke the deadlock with six minutes remaining.

Accrington loanee Carver showed excellent feet on left side of the box, he made his way to the byline before whipping in a cross and handing Hine the easiest of finishes from two yards to atone his earlier penalty miss.

The home fans, who heckled Mr Smallwood through out the game, were on the referee’s back once again as he waved away shouts for a penalty after Higgins went down from a Charnock challenge.

Prior to the shouts for the penalty, midfielder Bohan Dixon, one of only a few Celtic players to impress, stung the chest of Ashton with a 25 yard strike.

As the game its final stages, Stalybridge boss Watson was sent away from the dugout after shouting obscenities at the referee and McMillan produced another save, this time to deny Dean.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Dodd (Sheridan 77), Teague (c), Charnock, Cottrell (Dean 57), Hine, Whitham, Carver, Bond, Guy (Stephenson 59)

Chorley subs not used: Jarvis

Referee: William Smallwood (Northwich)

Attendance: 577