Strike by Mather gives Magpies second chance

Chorley celebrate after an Adam Mather strike gives them the lead
Chorley celebrate after an Adam Mather strike gives them the lead

Chorley were forced to settle for a replay after Nick Chadwick’s penalty secured a 1-1 draw for Skrill Premier outfit Tamworth in this FA Trophy third round tie.

Cheered on by a magnificent 507 fans, the Magpies took the lead in the 52nd minute after Adam Mather latched on to a James Dean flick and the former smashed the ball home passed the outstretched Cameron Belford.

But the lead didn’t last long as tricky midfielder Lloyd Kerry tumbled in the penalty area with referee Chris Kavanagh not hesitating to point to the spot.

Former Everton youngster Chadwick stepped up slamming the ball home in off the crossbar, which means either team could still be visiting Grimsby in the quarter-final on Saturday, February 1.

It could have been so different had Darren Stephenson squared the ball to Josh Hine when the latter was in acres of space in the six-yard box, but it wasn’t to be and Chorley had to settle for a draw meaning they will do it all again tonight, Tuesday, in the replay at Victory Park.

The Lambs had a plenty of Football League experience in their line-up and it showed in the opening stages of the game as they controlled possession.

But the Magpies grew into the game with Mather crossing for Dean but his header was well wide.

Then a minute later, Paul Jarvis sent in a deep swinging cross but it evaded everybody.

In the 11th minute, Mark Ross’ throw-in landed at the feet of skipper Andy Teague but his shot cannoned off the inside of the post flying across goal before trickling out for another throw-in.

The home side then had a glorious opportunity but former Bury and Preston North End midfielder Richard Baker fired his effort well wide of the post.

Two Tamworth free-kicks were cleared in quick succession by skipper Teague who marshalled the back-line superbly throughout the 90 minutes.

Mather then sent in another cross for Dean but the big striker could only head over.

Then a minute later, Belford produced the first real save of the match diving to his right to keep out an Adam

Roscoe header.

As the half drew to an end, Dale Whitham sent an effort wide of goal while Dean miscued a shot in the six-yard


After the interval, the Evo-Stik League Premier outfit started the stronger and in the 52nd minute they took the lead.

Left-back Mather raced on to a Dean flick-on and after carrying the ball 15 yards into the penalty area, he smashed the ball across the outstretched Belford into the bottom corner.

However the lead didn’t last long as the tricky Kerry tumbled in the box over the outstretched leg of Keil O’Brien and referee Kavanagh pointed straight to the spot.

Chadwick stepped up slamming home an unstoppable penalty to draw the Skrill side level.

Soon after the goal, Mather was withdrawn from the action due to a hamstring strain and was replaced by


Tamworth increased the pressure but still Ashton had little to do.

Belford then did well turning a Dean effort around the post then with 10 minutes to go, Ashton produced a brilliant save to his left to deny a goalbound Mahon header.

Stephenson then hit Tamworth on the counter, the frontman sprinted down the left wing but with Hine in acres of space in the six-yard box the former opted to shoot but his effort was well wide of the goal.

As the game entered stoppage time, both Dean and Teague stood firm blocking Tamworth efforts before O’Brien had the final effort of the game but his header was well wide of the post.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Teague, O’Brien, Mather (Stephenson 60), Cottrell, Whitham, Roscoe, Jarvis, Hine, Dean. Subs not used:Grundy (gk), Wiles, Vermiglio, Walmsley