Sucker punch sees off award winners Villa

editorial image

Euxton Villa rued missed chances as they lost 2-1 at home to Fleetwood Hesketh.

Prior to the game, boss Mark McDonnell and his side were presented with the West Lancashire League’s team of the month award.

But despite an early goal from Byron Andrew , Villa conceded two goals in the last five minutes to succumb to defeat.

Villa gave a debut to young goalkeeper Adam Caunce, but he wasn’t much more than a spectator in the opening half.

Villa thought they took the lead in the opening minutes but Danny Marland’s effort was ruled out for a push.

Dan Morris then had his header saved well by the visitors’ keeper, but moments later Andrew opened the scoring.

Lee McKenna excellently played a diagonal ball which Andrew latched on to before he unleashed a rasping effort into the net.

Fleetwood emerged from the dressing half with purpose in the second half while Villa were sluggish

Despite Villa having one decent effort, it was Fleetwood piling on the pressure with corner after corner – and eventually the pressure told and they equalised.

And then right at the death, Chris Bates sent the visitors into raptures grabbing a second for Fleetwood and seal a somewhat undeserved three points.

n Coppull United secured a hard-fought three points in a 2-1 win against Longridge Town.

Coppull, buoyed by last week’s cup win, started brightly with Greg Brickell , Nathan Fairhurst and Mark Edmeads all having early chances.

But against the run of play, the prolific Rob Coar put Longridge ahead.

Undeterred, Coppull continued to press and they drew level in the 65th minute as Scott Hendy played through Chris Robinson, who smashed the ball past Longridge keeper Alex Walsh from 25 yards out.

Brad Dowling was introduced and in the 78th minute.

And before too long, picked up the ball 30 yards out and unleashed a swirling shot which hit the underside of the crossbar to seal a 2-1 win.

n Charnock Richard put in an excellent performance to defeat Garstang 3-1.

David Burrows took advantage of sloppy defending to make it 1-0.

And Burrows made it 2-0 after latching on to an excellent Damien Dashti pass –, his first effort was saved but he made no mistake with the follow up.

Then Craig Banks headed home a Sam Nightingale cross to make it 3-0.

Charnock continued to dominate proceedings and could have made it four after Hastings handled on the line.

Hastings was sent off for deliberate handball but Tom Morgan hit his penalty wide.

Garstang hit back with an excellent free-kick in the 70th minute, but Charnock ran out comfortable winners.