Ten-man Magpies fight bravely for away point

Mark Ross in defence against Boston United
Mark Ross in defence against Boston United
Share this article

Chorley’s rapid return fixture with Boston United brought about a battling performance despite being them reduced to ten men in the second half.

Substitute Harry Winter saw red for the THIRD time this season, which is now providing Gary Flitcroft with a massive headache.

The Magpies manager made six changes to the starting line up from last Saturday’s home defeat against the Pilgrims.

Aaron Grundy replaced Danijel Nizic in goal, while there were returns for Adam Mather and Chris Doyle, who has returned to the club for a second loan spell.

And Chris Simm made his first start up front since his return.

In a fairly even start, Simm had the best chance for the Magpies when he drilled wide from 20 yards.

At the other end, Roscoe was booked for a challenge on Dayle Southwell on the halfway line, and the resulting free-kick was flicked over the bar by Southwell.

Home keeper Joel Dixon blundered as he gave the ball away and the recalled Darren Stephenson’s tight angled shot was cleared off the line by Rene Steer.

The goal was still gaping, but Simm was given no time to shoot thanks to Zak Mills.

Dale Whitham then won a corner after shot into the legs of Carl Piergianni, and Tom Smyth almost gave Chorley the lead with his nod towards goal from a corner .

Grundy was called into action when Southwell headed goalwards, clawing away a header which was heading into the top corner.

Southwell also had the final chance of the half, when he left Grundy static, but saw his volley fall inches wide of the far post.

With the fog rolling in at the beginning of the second half, Roscoe had to clear a corner away off the backside of Chris Doyle and Scott Garner flicked Southwell’s cross wide of the far post.

Roscoe’s well-struck free-kick 20 yards out was solidly held by Dixon.

Winter was brought into the action to replace Roscoe, who was treading the line on a yellow card.

But Chorley’s rhythm was not disrupted by the switch and Simm’s turn and shot was blocked from close range,.

Stephenson then headed over a pinpoint Adam Mather free-kick.

Boston were reduced to counter attacks, from one of which Greg Tempest’s effort deflected through to Grundy.

Home keeper Dixon had to be rescued by his back-line as he dropped a corner ball.

And shortly after that, he had to be on hand again to save with his legs, as the lively Josh Hine found himself free in the area.

Simm then saw a shot from the angle cleared off the line and Piergianni met the ball from a right-wing cross to head wide.

Winter received his marching orders after a hefty tackle on Marrs.

While it looked as though the substitute won the ball, he was shown a straight red by referee Declan Ford who decided it was a dangerous challenge.

But a dogged Chorley hung on for a fine point away from home against one of the teams who are also looking to push for the play-offs.

CHORLEY: Grundy, Ross, Mather, Doyle, Smyth, Cottrell, Hine, Whitham, Simm (Almond 81), Roscoe (Winter 55), Stephenson. Subs not used : Jarvis, Lynch, Mulholland

Attendance: 1,135 (63 Chorley)