Three-sy win sees Charnock advance in cup

Goalscorer Carl Grimshaw
Goalscorer Carl Grimshaw
Share this article

David Burrows scored twice as Charnock Richard safely made it through to the Lancashire FA Amateur Shield third round.

Fellow front-man Carl Grimshaw also got his name on the scoresheet as Andy Westwell’s side ran out 3-0 winners against Fulwood Amateurs at Mossie Park.

Burrows opened the scoring in the 12th minute.

The lead was doubled two minutes before the hour, Grimshaw finishing from a one-on-one situation.

Burrows completed the scoring taking advantage of a defensive error in the 76th minute.

Charnock welcome Ladybridge in the third round on Saturday, October 24.

With the first attempt on goal, Charnock opened the scoring.

Goalkeeper Danny Roccia and defender Ged Smith both stopped as Josh Norgate launched the ball forward.

Burrows nipped in between the pair and went around Roccia to tap into an empty net.

Fulwood responded and Gavin Bates made a smart save to deny Mitch Newsham.

Tony Hesketh’s side were testing Charnock and Newsham hit the post with a free-kick. Defensively Charnock were struggling but against the run of play, Mark Adams hit the bar after he received the ball from a corner.

Ryan Dodd shot over for Fulwood early in the second half and soon after, Grimshaw had a header cleared off the line.

Norgate turned provider once again for Charnock in the 58th minute, his cross field pass found Grimshaw and the big striker made no mistake beating the onrushing ‘keeper.

Roccia saved well from a Spencer Bibby free-kick whilst at the other end, Newsham forced Bates into a smart save pushing wide an edge-of-the-box shot.

Newsham’s header rebounded off the post before Charnock put the game to bed in the 76th minute.

Another defensive error on the edge of the box allowed Burrows to beat Roccia with a powerful effort.

Almost immediately after, Grimshaw hit the post.

Grimshaw again tested Roccia and Smith fired wide of Bates’ post from a free-kick.

Late on, Newsham shot well wide and a Burrows effort was beaten out by Roccia.

Coppull United strolled through to the next round after thrashing Denton Town 13-4.

Hot shot Ryan Steel scored five goals, including a penalty as Coppull never looked like losing.

Nathan Fairhurst and Ryan Salmon both scored hat-tricks whilst Ryan Brookes and Nathan Massie also got their names on the score sheet.

The reward for defeating Denton is a home tie against Turton.

Euxton Villa were dumped out of the cup, losing 2-1 to Prestwich Heys.

At the weekend, all three sides return to league action.

Coppull host Thornton Cleveleys whilst Charnock are at home to Vickerstown.

Euxton Villa make the trip to Fulwood Amateurs.