Unbeaten run continues

Simon Wiles on the ball
Simon Wiles on the ball

Chorley maintained their unbeaten start to the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League season with a goal less draw at home to Whitby Town.

Prior to the game on Saturday, new signing Carlos Roca had announced his retirement due to his failure to regain form from a previous injury.

But manager Garry Flitcroft acted quickly as he replaced him with Stockport County winger Alex Meaney.

The opening 45 minutes was a scrappy encounter with both sides having limited opportunities.

The away side had the only real chance but that effort was blazed wide.

The Magpies came out with plenty of purpose in the second half, while Whitby seemed happy to camp in their own half and look to hit Chorley on the counter attack.

Ten minutes into the half , in-form striker Darren Stephenson had the best chance after Mark Ross squared a ball across goal but his shot was blocked.

Minutes later, winger Paul Jarvis set up pacy striker Josh Hine but the keeper stood firm and saved not one, but two Hine efforts.

The chances kept coming for Chorley, with left-back Adam Mather crossing for Jarvis, but his effort sailed over.

Hine and Stephenson then had a chance as both strikers broke, but both looked tired and as they exchanged passes and the chance was wasted.

With 20 minutes left, Whitby had their first chance of the second half, but goalMagpies keeper Sam Ashton who had been a spectator all afternoon saved well from a point-blank header.

Skipper Andy Teague then saw two headers miss the target, and substitute Simon Wiles crossed for Hine but the ball was just an inch too high with the goal gaping.

Tom Baker then saw a shot flash wide before Whitby hit Chorley on the break but a cross-cum-shot from Steve Snaith never troubled Ashtons’ goal.

Chorley then had a chance to win it deep into injury time after Stephenson latched on to an Adam Roscoe flick down, but the striker fired wide.

n Last Tuesday night saw the Magpies throw away a 3-0 lead to draw 3-3 with Ashton United at Victory Park.

Chorley took the lead through Hine after the striker broke and showed unbelievable pace to fire past the helpless keeper.

Stephenson then grabbed two goals in three minutes and seemingly seal all three points for the Magpies.

But cue the game changer after Tom Ince, Hine and Dale Whitam were all withdraw due to slight muscle strains.

The substitutions upset the flow of the game for Chorley and Ashton hit back with three goals – and even had a chance to seal all three points.