United hold their nerve to earn place in cup final

Action from the semi-final match, Leyland United (blue kit) v CMB (yellow kit)
Action from the semi-final match, Leyland United (blue kit) v CMB (yellow kit)

Leyland United recorded a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over CMB to reach the West Lancashire League Challenge Cup final.

United ran out 4-1 winners in the shoot-out with, Martin Savigar, Ashley Ball, Mick Benson and Mikey Hindle all converting from the spot.

Earlier in the tie, Jamie Boyd had given CMB the lead before Ball hit back to take the contest to penalties.

Leyland now take on Walney Island in the final at Kendal Town’s Northgate Hire Vehicle Stadium on Thursday, April 24.

Leyland started the stronger in the semi-final played at Euxton Villa, with Hindle lashing a shot over the bar and Savigar volleying wide.

Matt Ferguson caused plenty of problems throughout down the right-hand side and his pinpoint cross found Hindle in the area, but his tame header failed to beat the goalkeeper.

CMB then had their first effort on goal but the ball flew over the bar leaving Carlsen Watt untroubled.

Hindle was the man at the centre of the action and produced another save from the CMB goalkeeper .

The Bolton outfit grew into the game and peppered the Leyland goal with a series of long-range efforts.

Despite many chances being created in the first half, the sides went into the break level.

But seven minutes into the second half, CMB took the lead.

Striker Boyd broke the United back-line and rounded Watt before slotting into an empty net.

United immediately went in search of an equaliser and just after the hour mark, a trademark Savigar cross was met by Ball, who bulleted a header into the net to draw the sides level.

Savigar then saw his free-kick tipped round the post, with the CMB goalkeeper going on to deny Ryan Greenwood with a fine stop.

Despite Leyland’s dominance, it took penalties to split the sides.

United converted all four of their spot-kicks and with the help of Watt saving two of the CMB penalties, Leyland will take their place in the final.

n Coppull United held title chasers Blackpool Wren Rovers to a 2-2 draw in the West Lancashire League Premier Division.

Wren Rovers are the only side that can catch table-toppers Charnock Richard as they currently sit 23 points behind the Mossie Park outfit with eight games remaining.

Coppull went into the game still hoping for a top-five place, but they were dealt a blow after nine minutes when Rick Sear bagged his 20th league goal of the season to give the home side the lead.

The first half was fairly quiet with the home side having plenty of possession but failing to test the Coppull back-line.

The second half, Coppull started brightly with the visitors having plenty of chances to test the Wren Rovers


And the home side’s defence was breached with just seven minutes remaining, goal machine Greg Brickell slotting past the goalkeeper to give Coppull a deserved equaliser.

Oliver Crolla then bagged for Wren Rovers with just three minutes left, but the visitors went on the search for an equaliser and after a long spell of pressure in the final minutes, Lee Gilbert popped up to secure a point.