Villa get a Legg up to overcome dogged Eagley

right, Danial Hogg scores for Euxton Villa in their West Lancashire Premier League game against Eagley
right, Danial Hogg scores for Euxton Villa in their West Lancashire Premier League game against Eagley
Share this article

A goal in either half from Danial Hogg and Andrew Leggett ensured Euxton Villa sealed all the points against Eagley at the Jim Fowler Memorial Playing Fields.

Hogg found the net after just six minutes and Leggett sealed the points with just four minutes left of normal time remaining.

This game was the only one played in the Premier Division on Saturday as many fixtures fell foul of the weather.

Boss Mark McDonnell had to shuffle his team around due to several key players

being unavailable.

The Villa pitch was in excellent condition despite the heavy downpours and strong winds.

Dan Birkby was recalled to the starting line-up and he made an instant impact.

After picking up a loose ball, he timed his through ball to perfection to play through Hogg, who rounded the onrushing keeper before tapping into an empty net.

Villa continued to boss the first half, with the pairing of Ian Billington and Richard Wilson dominating the play in the middle of the park.

Danny Marland once against posed a threat out wide, as did Dan Morris.

But Villa found themselves on the wrong end of a refereeing decision 20 minutes into the game.

Morris powered down the right before curling a ball in, rand rising above everybody was Birkby, who cleverly guided his header past the Eagley keeper.

But the celebrations were ended prematurely as the goal was chalked off for offside.

Despite the positive start, Eagley powered through on goal and former Preston North End and Chorley midfielder Simon Whaley need to be denied by a superb Mark Swift sliding challenge.

Villa weathered the storm early in the second half with Sam Bolton impressing.

Then McDonnell’s side started to step it up with goalscorer Hogg shooting wide of goal and Marland failing to hit the target.

Leggett came off the bench with 15 minutes remaining and immediately caused problems with his height.

And four minutes from time, he outjumped his marker to nod the ball home and seal a most welcome three points.