Lubbe exit is a blow but Parris can fill void left
Ian Dickinson admits the loss of professional Wihan Lubbe is a massive blow but backed new boy Nekoli Parris to help fuel the club's title fight.
Lubbe left earlier this month to return to his native South Africa to sign a professional contract with Highveld Lions.
Chorley reacted quickly to Lubbe’s shock exit by snapping up West Indian Parris.
The Barbadian arrived on Friday and went straight into Chorley’s starting XI for their winning draw at Morecambe.
The 29-year-old right-handed batsman and off-break bowler only made eight runs but skipper Dickinson – who missed the game due to a wedding – reckons Parris was fatigued and expects him to hit the ground running when Chorley play their next game against Kendal on July 9.
He said: “Parris got here on Friday and the lads said he looked a good acquisition but that he was jet lagged and tired on Saturday.
“Wihan is a massive loss.
“He is a lovely lad but we can’t complain as he wants a career in cricket and he has got to go and take this chance.
“He has made a big difference all around the club both on and off the field.
“Both with coaching the juniors and his performances for the team – especially with the ball in the second half of his spell with us.
“He will be a big loss but hopefully Parris can fill that hole and pick up were Wihan left off.”
The nine points Chorley picked up in their winning draw over Morecambe helped them maintain their chase for the top spot.
Chorley are fifth in the Northern Premier Cricket League Division One table – 18 points off current leaders Leyland.
And Dickinson says anyone can win the league this year. He said: “It is an open league. We want to win the league and if we can get a run together and be more consistent then we will have a chance.”
Chorley’s Readers Cup home clash against Preston will take place on Sunday July 10.