Chorley exit from the cup after seeing lead slip away

Photo: David Hurst Chorley RUFC V Fylde 3 played at Chisnall Playing Fields, Chorley charge down the kick
Photo: David Hurst Chorley RUFC V Fylde 3 played at Chisnall Playing Fields, Chorley charge down the kick
Share this article

Chorley RUFC men’s first team were dumped out of the League Cup after letting an eight point lead slip against Fylde 3rds.

In a bruising encounter,

Fylde played the stronger rugby in the second half to run out

28-24 winners.

The game almost fell victim to the weather as the Brookfields pitch was under water but with help from Chorley Panthers, the fixture was moved to Chisnall and the game went ahead.

Despite being the in same league the sides are yet to come across each other and after the first 15 minutes of play Chorley were on the back foot.

And after a strong start, Fylde soon found themselves in the lead and it could have been even worse for Chorley minutes later but Chris Highton produced a try-saving tackle.

The strong start seem to spark Chorley into life and the hosts hit back almost immediately as Andy John jinxed his way over the try line.

Dave Dawson then added to the Chorley score with a penalty before the experienced Steve Goodman powered over the touchline moments before the half ended.

Dawson was unlucky in converting the extras as his conversion rebounded off the posts meaning Chorley lead at half-time 15-7.

The game opened up in the second half which seemingly benefitted the visitors.

Two quick tries put the away side back in the lead before it seemingly got worse for Chorley as they were reduced to 14-men for a sin-bin.

Fylde took advantage of the extra man and added another score and increased their


Chorley continued to battle and there was a glimmer of hope when Lee Rogers burst through a gap in the Fylde line but in the end they ran out of time to mount a


n Chorley 2nds progressed in the League Plate competition without breaking sweat as their opponents couldn’t raise a side and forfeited the


Both sides return to league action next week as the 1st XV host Littleborough with a 2.15pm kick-off.