It’s a magnificent seven as table-toppers are beaten

Photo Neil Cross Chorley RUFC v Blackburn RUFC
Photo Neil Cross Chorley RUFC v Blackburn RUFC
Share this article

Chorley RUFC pulled off one of the shocks of the season by defeating top-of-the-table Blackburn 2nds.

The home-side ran out 11-7 winners in a closely-fought game and now sit seventh in the County Courier Services Division Two North.

The victory is Chorley’s seventh straight win in all competitions.

Blackburn started the stronger of the two sides with Dom Fife and James Fisher called upon to make two last-ditch tackles.

Chorley gradually grew into the game and John Jackson broke through the Blackburn defence, but the referee halted the game with Jackson adjudged to have knocked on.

With nothing between the teams. Chorley elected to kick for goal from two awarded penalties, with stand-off Rick Waring taking one of the opportunities to put his side 3-0 up at half-time.

The high tempo continued in the second half and after a break in play, Andy Kavanagh found himself free to touch down in the far corner.

The try proved to be a wake-up call Blackburn


They piled on the pressure and with 15 minutes remaining, they drew the sides closer with a try of their own.

But moments later the visitors, found themselves down to 14 men after a silly off-the-ball incident which saw the Chorley hooker sent flying into the referee.

Chorley’s defence remained tight for the final minutes and they took their next opportunity to score through a drop goal in the dying seconds and seal the victory.

Chorley take on Tyldesley this Saturday at Brookfields with kick off at 2.15pm.

n The second team served up a Christmas cracker by thrashing Carnforth 88-5.

Dave Dawson opened the scoring early before Mark Viller showed touches of class to extend Chorley’s lead.

Chorley continued to dominate with Rob Loughenbury grabbing his first try of the season.

Carnforth did score late on, but it was a deserved victory for the seconds who have run into some excellent form.