Tim’s right on the Button to salvage leaders a point

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson
Share this article

Leyland and Chorley dropped points for only the second time this season as they were held to a 3-3 draw at Carlisle 4ths.

In truth, they were perhaps lucky to even sneak a point but the table-toppers still sit 12 points clear in the Barrington Sports North West Hockey League Division Five North.

From the off, Leyland and Chorley struggled to get into their stride due to missed passes, sloppy defending and some poor ball control.

But despite the sluggish play, Carlisle failed to capitalise as they were stopped in their tracks by defensive trio, Tim Button, Ian Lindsay and Harry Bevan.

After 20 minutes, Carlisle took the lead as they took advantage of a penalty corner and slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

But five minutes later, the away side drew level.

After great work from Nick Dunn and Gary Swann, the ball landed at the stick of Craig Wilson who squared it back to Swann and he comfortably finished.

It was a quick turnaround as Leyland and Chorley took the lead minutes before the break.

Again Dunn was involved, as his pass found Mark Collier whose effort was saved by the goalkeeper but Andy Hey was on hand to tap into the empty net.

Straight after the break, Carlisle drew level, from a short corner routine.

Dunn went into the book after committing a foul just outside the 25 and then after 55 minutes, Carlisle took the lead taking advantage of sloppy defending.

Leyland and Chorley immediately looked to draw level as Adrian Thornton and Wilson were both denied.

And Tim Button managed to grab an equaliser late on as his flick sailed into the top corner to seal a point for Leyland.

n Leyland and Chorley Ladies made it 12 wins in a row as they defeated Lancaster and Morecambe 3-1.

In tough conditions, they started strongly as Nicola Wallbank produced a magnificent save from the goalkeeper.

Lancaster defended well, frustrating the Leyland and Chorley attackers but just after the half-hour mark, they land took the lead.

Becca Halsall dribbled into the D and her effort was saved but Jess Frith was on hand to tap the ball in the net.

Two minutes later, Lancaster could have been level but Alison Clewlow produced two excellent saves.

Frith then dribbled her way down the line and squared to Penny Robb to make it 2-1.

Lancaster hit back with a goal of their own but with six minutes remaining, Raelene Strickland finished well to seal a 3-1 victory.

n The women’s second team secured an excellent victory defeating Lytham St Annes 3rds 2-0.

The women avenged their early season defeat to Lytham by outplaying them throughout the match.

Michelle Alty and Sarah Mayock grabbed the goals for the home side.