Wounded leaders hit back in style with five-star show

Leyland and Chorley's Simon Myers
Leyland and Chorley's Simon Myers
Share this article

Table-toppers Leyland and Chorley men bounced back from last weekend’s shock defeat by comfortably outplaying Urmston seconds.

Last Saturday’s loss against Formby was the team’s first of the season, but they showed true bouncebackability as a double from Simon Myers as well as goals from Tim Button, Matthew Wilson and Mark Swann saw the title-chasers run out 5-2 winners.

The victory sees Leyland and Chorley sitting pretty at the top in the Barrington Sports Division Four North table by 14 points.

L&C were dealt a blow prior to kick off as Mark Collier had to take up the position of umpire due to injury.

The first half started with both teams attacking at pace through the midfield.

Half way through the half, Button broke the deadlock as he struck a well-timed effort from inside the D.

There was a delay after the goal as both umpires had a short consultation discussing whether or not the ball crossed the line, and despite the complaints from several Urmston players, the goal was awarded.

Urmston hit back shortly after with an equaliser, but the parity was shortlived as

Myers reacted quickest to a loose ball to slot the ball home.

L&C keeper Ande Wilding proved his worth making several smart saves and his side soon took control of the game as Swann expertly flicked a shot into the top corner.

The game entered a scrappy period and several of the Urmston players aimed bad tempered rants at the officials, and both sides were then reduced to 10 men as both captains were given five-minute penalties.

Urmston continued to struggle and they again had a man awarded a yellow card,

Craig Wilson then saw his shot saved but Matthew Wilson swept up the rebound and tapped in.

The attacking overload continued, with returning L&C captain Nick Dunn unlucky to see a goal disallowed

But it wasn’t too long before Myers bagged his second of the match from the resulting phase of play.

In the final stages, Urmston hit back with a second goal ut the day belonged to the table toppers.

n The second team were involved in a six-goal thriller when drawing 3-3 with Lytham St Annes fourths which ensures they remain unbeaten in 2015.

Tom McLellan bagged himself a brace while Gary Shivers scored the other.

n The ladies second team recorded a 1-0 victory over Blackpool thirds in their first game since the Christmas break.

In a tense encounter, it took a solitary strike from Anna Jones to seal a deserved three points.